Dr David Anderson
- Dr David Anderson
- +44 (0)20 7040 5895
David joined City University London in 1998 as a Lecturer in Child Health following a clinical and managerial career in various Children's Units throughout London.
Having trained as a primary school teacher, David became an unqualified Auxiliary Nurse before commencing his Registered General Nurse training at Glasgow Royal Infirmary. Having consolidated his Adult training in the Cardio-Thoracic Unit, David moved to London to undertake his Registered Sick Children's Nurse training at the Wolfson School of Nursing of Westminster in 1987. He then undertook the ENB 415 (Intensive Care Nursing of Children) at the Charles West School of Nursing (Great Ormond Street). Having completed the ENB 415 David moved as Junior Charge Nurse to the Gastro-enterology Unit at St Bartholomew's Hospital. A post as Charge Nurse followed this on the Surgical High-Dependency Unit at Great Ormond Street. David returned to St Bartholomew's Hospital to take up the post as Senior Nurse (Paediatrics) before moving to an identical post at the Paediatric Unit at The Royal London Hospital, Whitechapel. From there, David moved to City University London as a Lecturer in Children's Nursing.
Apart from his nursing qualifications, David's academic qualifications have all been obtained whilst holding a variety of different full-time posts. David's first Degree was in Health Service Management at the University of East London. His Master's Degree, which looked at Preceptorship, was undertaken at City University London and his PhD in Educational Research was completed at Lancaster University where he looked at the impact of Widening Participation on the role of the Nurse Teacher.
His current areas of interest are the recruitment and retention of student nurses.
PhD; MSc; BA (Hons); DPSN; Dip Ed; RGN; RSCN; ENB 415
Administrative roles/Clinical activity
- Module Leader for NM 2733/3715; HSM 232; HS 2231
- Module Link for NM 3733; NM 2728/3710
- Admission Tutor for Pre-Registration Children's Nursing programmes
- Lead for Pre-Registration Children's Nursing Moving + Handling
- David is the Link Lecturer to the Children's Areas at Homerton University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
Memberships of professional bodies
- Royal College of Nursing
Research interests include: Widening Participation in Nursing, Student Recruitment/Retention and the Student's Experience of Higher Education.
- Children's Nursing
- Widening Participation
- Student Nurse Recruitment/Retention
- Centre for Maternal and Child Health (leads - Professor S Ayres and C Mc Court)
Modules taught on
- NM 2733/3715 Managing Child Health Care in Acute Situations
- NM 3733 Literature Review Project (Nursing)
- NM 2728/3710 Consolidating Professional Nursing Knowledge
- HSM 232 Experiencing Acute Care, Diagnostics and Treatment: Child
- HS 2232 Experiencing Acute Care, Diagnosis and Treatment: Child