Dr Charitini Stavropoulou
- Dr Charitini Stavropoulou
- +44 (0)20 7040 0143
Dr Charitini Stavropoulou joined City University in September 2014 as a Senior Lecturer in Health Management, in the School of Health Sciences.
Prior to joining City University Charitini has held teaching and research positions at the University of Surrey and Imperial College Business School. She has an MSc in Operational Research from the University of Edinburgh and a PhD in Health Policy from the London School of Economics.
- PhD in Health Policy, London School of Economics, United Kingdom, 2008
- MSc in Operational Research, University of Edinburgh, United Kingdom, 2003
- BSc in Business Administration and Economics, Athens University of Economics and Business, Greece, 2002
- Senior Lecturer, City, University of London, 2013 – present
- Lecturer, University of Surrey, 2009 – 2013
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Imperial College London, 2008 – 2009
Dr Stavropoulou works in the area of Health Economics with applications to health services research both in the UK and in other European countries. Her specific research interests focus on the physician-patient relationship and the impact this has on patients' decisions to adhere to medical recommendations, follow a healthier life style and get involved with their own safety. She is also interested in the effect of financial crisis on health care systems and individual behaviours.
Current Research Grants
Economic evaluation of cancer innovations. Funded by The Royal Marsden. September 2016 – August 2018, £180,000.
Development of a perioperative isometric-resistance exercise intervention programme (Basic Exercise Training To Enhance Recovery - BETTER) for patients undergoing elective abdominal and thoracic surgery for cancer. Funded by Research for Patient Benefit, National Institute for Health Research. March 2015-March 2018, £262,970.
Patients as active partners in safety? An exploration of the extant clinical and legal issues from the perspective of patients and their carers. Funded by the Health Foundation. June 2013-October 2015, £132,000.
- Stavropoulou, C. (2012). The doctor-patient relationship: A review of the theory and policy implications. The LSE Companion to Health Policy (pp. 314–326). ISBN 978-1-78100-423-4.
- Stavropoulou, C. (2012). A response to Bevan and Fasolo. Behavioural Public Policy (pp. 63–68). ISBN 978-1-107-04263-6.
- French, C. and Stavropoulou, C. (2015). Specialist nurses’ perceptions of the barriers and facilitators to inviting adult NHS patients to participate in clinical research studies: a qualitative descriptive study.
- Murad, Z., Stavropoulou, C. and Cookson, G. (2019). Incentives and gender in a multi-task setting: An experimental study with real-effort tasks. PLOS ONE, 14(3). doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0213080.
- Gomes, D. and Stavropoulou, C. (2019). The impact generated by public and charity-funded research in the UK: A systematic literature review. Health Research Policy and Systems, 17. doi:10.1186/s12961-019-0425-2.
- Stavropoulou, C., Somai, M. and Ioannidis, J.P.A. (2019). Most UK scientists who publish extremely highly-cited papers do not secure funding from major public and charity funders: A descriptive analysis. PLoS ONE, 14(2). doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0211460.
- Laliotis, I. and Stavropoulou, C. (2018). Crises and mortality: Does the level of unemployment matter? Social Science and Medicine, 214, pp. 99–109. doi:10.1016/j.socscimed.2018.08.016.
- Stephensen, D., Hashem, F., Corbett, K., Bates, A., George, M., Hobbs, R.P. … Ali, H. (2018). Effects of preoperative and postoperative resistance exercise interventions on recovery of physical function in patients undergoing abdominal surgery for cancer: a systematic review of randomised controlled trials. BMJ open sport & exercise medicine, 4(1). doi:10.1136/bmjsem-2017-000331.
- Glycopantis, D. and Stavropoulou, C. (2018). An agency relationship under general conditions of uncertainty: a game theory application to the doctor–patient interaction. Economic Theory Bulletin, 6(1), pp. 15–28. doi:10.1007/s40505-017-0120-9.
- Tsimtsiou, Z., Stavropoulou, C., Papastefanou, N. and Lionis, C. (2017). Enhancing clinical communication in dermatologists: a personalized educational intervention. Journal of Dermatological Treatment, 28(7), pp. 647–651. doi:10.1080/09546634.2017.1309348.
- Doherty, C., Stavropoulou, C., Saunders, M.N.K. and Brown, T. (2017). The consent process: Enabling or disabling patients’ active participation? Health (United Kingdom), 21(2), pp. 205–222. doi:10.1177/1363459315611870.
- Stavropoulou, C., Parmar, D. and Ioannidis, J.P.A. (2016). Bias in medical literature on health outcomes: bias in commentary? Reply. BMJ, 355. doi:10.1136/bmj.i6639.
- Galizzi, M.M., Miraldo, M., Stavropoulou, C. and van der Pol, M. (2016). Doctor–patient differences in risk and time preferences: A field experiment. Journal of Health Economics, 50, pp. 171–182. doi:10.1016/j.jhealeco.2016.10.001.
- Laliotis, I., Ioannidis, J.P.A. and Stavropoulou, C. (2016). Total and cause-specific mortality before and after the onset of the Greek economic crisis: an interrupted time-series analysis. The Lancet Public Health, 1(2). doi:10.1016/S2468-2667(16)30018-4.
- Laliotis, I., Ioannidis, J.P.A. and Stavropoulou, C. (2016). Total and cause-specific mortality before and after the onset of the Greek economic crisis: an interrupted time-series analysis (vol 1, pg e56, 2015). LANCET PUBLIC HEALTH, 1(2).
- Doherty, C., Stavropoulou, and Saunders, M.N.K. (2016). Consent to treatment in the UK: Time for practice to reflect the law. Journal of Health Services Research & Policy.
- Galizzi, M.M., Miraldo, M. and Stavropoulou, C. (2016). In Sickness but Not in Wealth: Field Evidence on Patients' Risk Preferences in Financial and Health Domains. Medical decision making : an international journal of the Society for Medical Decision Making, 36(4), pp. 503–517.
- French, C. and Stavropoulou, C. (2016). Specialist nurses’ perceptions of inviting patients to participate in clinical research studies: a qualitative descriptive study of barriers and facilitators. BMC Medical Research Methodology, 16(1), pp. 1–12. doi:10.1186/s12874-016-0204-5.
- Parmar, D., Stavropoulou, C. and Ioannidis, J.P.A. (2016). Health outcomes during the 2008 financial crisis in Europe: Systematic literature review. BMJ (Online), 354. doi:10.1136/bmj.i4588.
- Stavropoulou, C., Parmar, D. and Ioannidis, J.P.A. (2016). Research authors' reply to Barlow and Barr and Taylor-Robinson. BMJ (Online), 355. doi:10.1136/bmj.i6639.
- Doherty, C., Stavropoulou, and Dickinson, L. (2015). Patients’ willingness to complete written incident report forms in one UK tertiary cancer hospital. Clinical Risk, 21(5), pp. 77–82. doi:10.1177/1356262215616013.
- Stavropoulou, C. and Valletti, T. (2015). Compulsory licensing and access to drugs. European Journal of Health Economics, 16(1), pp. 83–94. doi:10.1007/s10198-013-0556-2.
- Stavropoulou, C., Doherty, C. and Tosey, P. (2015). How effective are incident reporting systems for improving patient safety? A systematic literature review. Milbank Quarterly, 93(4), pp. 826–866.
- Galizzi, M.M., Miraldo, M., Stavropoulou, C., Desai, M., Jayatunga, W., Joshi, M. … Parikh, S. (2012). Who is more likely to use doctor-rating websites, and why? A cross-sectional study in London. BMJ Open, 2(6). doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2012-001493.
- Doherty, C. and Stavropoulou, C. (2012). Patients' willingness and ability to participate actively in the reduction of clinical errors: A systematic literature review. Social Science and Medicine, 75(2), pp. 257–263. doi:10.1016/j.socscimed.2012.02.056.
- Stavropoulou, C. (2012). Perceived information needs and non-adherence: Evidence from Greek patients with hypertension. Health Expectations, 15(2), pp. 187–196. doi:10.1111/j.1369-7625.2011.00679.x.
- de Lusignan, S., Pearce, C., Kumarapeli, P., Stavropoulou, C., Kushniruk, A., Sheikh, A. … Mendis, K. (2011). Reporting observational studies of the use of information technology in the clinical consultation. A position statement from the IMIA Primary Health Care Informatics Working Group (IMIA PCI WG). Yearbook of medical informatics, 6(1), pp. 39–47.
- Stavropoulou, C. (2011). Non-adherence to medication and doctor-patient relationship: Evidence from a European survey. Patient education and counseling, 83(1), pp. 7–13. doi:10.1016/j.pec.2010.04.039.
- Glycopantis, D. and Stavropoulou, C. (2011). The supply of information in an emotional setting. CESifo Economic Studies, 57(4), pp. 740–762. doi:10.1093/cesifo/ifr024.
- Dassiou, X., Glycopantis, D. and Stavropoulou, C. (2009). Bundling in General Markets and in Health Care Systems. THE JOURNAL OF ECONOMIC ASYMMETRIES, 6(2), pp. 47–68.
Module Leader for HRM001 Introduction to Research Methods
HRM003 Advanced Data Analysis
HMM008 Change Management and Leadership