- Angela Jackman
- +44 (0)20 7040 5060
Angela graduated from Balliol College, Oxford University and qualified in private practice. She remains in part-time private practice as a senior solicitor and partner at Simpson Millar LLP in London.
Angela joined The City Law School in September 2015 as a Senior Lecturer/CPD Consultant and is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
Angela's areas of specialism are Education, Mental Capacity and Public Law. She is cited as a leader in these 3 fields in Chambers and Partners and Legal 500 2018.
Angela practised at Hackney Community Law Centre in a number of social welfare areas for several years following qualification . She subsequently specialized in private practice in Education, Mental Capacity and Community Care law. Angela is an Accredited Practitioner under the Law Society's Mental Capacity (Welfare) Accreditation Scheme.
Angela has had a number of reported cases across the disciplines of Education, Community Care and Court of Protection. Her particularly high profile cases include G v St Gregory's Catholic Science College, the "cornrows " school exclusion judicial review case in which the High Court held in 2011 that a school's policy prohibiting boys from wearing their hair in cornrows resulted in indirect racial discrimination.
Angela had conduct of the Supreme Court judicial review A and B v Secretary of State for Health  1 W.L.R 2492 in which two women from Northern Ireland challenged the Secretary of State for Health's then refusal to permit women from Northern Ireland accessing NHS abortion services in England. The appellants lost by a narrow majority of 3:2 but the case was instrumental in a subsequent successful political campaign which resulted in the government conceding the primary issue. Angela has registered an application at the European Court of Human Rights due to outstanding legal issues.
Supreme Court to hear challenge to bar on NHS abortion services for Northern Irish women
Professional bodies and Writing
Angela is the Secretary of the Education Law Practitioners' Group which responds to government consultations on behalf of its members. She is also an expert panel member of the Strategic Legal Fund for Vulnerable Young Migrants and has twice been a judge for the Legal Aid Lawyer of the Year Awards. Angela was appointed to the Law Society's Human Rights Committee in September 2016.
Angela co- authored "Practical Education Law", a practitioner's text, published by the Law Society in 2005. She provides regular updates on education law for the Legal Action Group bulletin and has written for a number of other legal publications, including New Law Journal and Lexis Nexis.
Since April 2017, Angela has been delivering regular two day mental capacity training courses for practitioners seeking accreditation with the Law Society and the Court of Protection.
Angela was given an award for Outstanding Achievement at the Legal Aid Practitioners Group Silver Jubilee Awards Ceremony in June 2009. She was also Highly Commended in the category for Solicitor of the Year- Private Practice at the Law Society Excellence Awards in 2014.
Angela won an Eight Women Award in 2014 following a social media public poll for the most influential women of colour in the UK.
Angela won Lawyer of the Year at the Modern Law Awards 2017/18 in January 2018.
- BA Hons Law, University of Oxford, United Kingdom
- Fellow, Higher Education Academy, York, United Kingdom
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, Higher Education Academy, Oct 2018 – present
Memberships of committees
- Committee Member, Law Society Human Rights Committee, Sep 2016 – present
- Modern Law Awards (2018) Lawyer of the Year
- Genetics Disorders UK. Central London (2015). Keynote lecture on implementation of the Children and Families Act 2014.
- Women in the Workplace: What does professional look like?
International Women's Day: The City Law School, City, University of London. Northampton Square, City, University of London (2017). Addressing discrimination faced by BAME women in the workplace.
- . BBC Home page coverage for Administrative Court decision in A and B v Secretary of State for Health. Television interview for BBC news. Radio interviews for BBC Belfast and BBC Ullster. Live interview by Victoria Derbyshire on Radio 5Live. Significant coverage in the press.
Also interviewed by BBC Ullster in July 2015 following Court of Appeal decision in A and B and significant coverage in national press.
- The World Tonight. Radio 4 Interview provided on the implications of the Court of Appeal decision in
A and B v Secretary of State for Health.
- Expert panel member of the Strategic Legal Fund for Vulnerable Young Migrants.
- 14th June 2017: The Supreme Court handed down judgment in A and B v Secretary of State for Health:  1 W.L.R. 2492, a high profile case that Angela has conducted since January 2013. Angela acted for a mother and daughter from Northern Ireland who challenged the refusal of the Secretary of State for Health to provide NHS abortion services to women from Northern Ireland who travel to England for such services. The appellants lost by a narrow majority of 3:2 but the decision was instrumental in a political concession 2 weeks later by the government permitting women from Northern Ireland to access abortion services in England on the NHS. The case attracted significant press interest.