Dr Andreas Jarvstad
- Dr Andreas Jarvstad
- +44 (0)20 7040 4207
I work on learning, inference and decision-making - across a wide range of domains (from sensory, to sensori-motor to more high-level cognitive domains). I use a wide range of different methods from behavioural experiments to fMRI and EEG. More often than not, my work involves computational modelling.
I teach first year stats (PS1007) and I supervise some great MSc students. I'm happy to hear from students who are interested in related MSc projects and/or pursuing a PhD.
- PhD (2012), Cardiff University, United Kingdom
- MSc (2008), Cardiff University, United Kingdom
- BA Psychology (2007), Cardiff University, United Kingdom
- Lecturer, City, University of London, Sep 2018 – present
- British Academy Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Oxford, Sep 2015 – Aug 2018
- Research Associate, University of Bristol, May 2012 – Aug 2015
- Research Assistant, University of Bristol, Sep 2011 – Apr 2012
German and Swedish.
- Hotaling, J.M., Jarvstad, A., Donkin, C. and Newell, B.R. (2019). How to Change the Weight of Rare Events in Decisions From Experience. Psychological Science, 30(12), pp. 1767–1779. doi:10.1177/0956797619884324.
- Jarvstad, A. and Gilchrist, I.D. (2019). Cognitive control of saccadic selection and inhibition from within the core cortical saccadic network. The Journal of Neuroscience pp. 1419–18. doi:10.1523/jneurosci.1419-18.2018.
- Jarvstad, A., Hahn, U., Rushton, S.K. and Warren, P.A. (2013). Perceptuo-motor, cognitive, and description-based decision-making seem equally good. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 110(40), pp. 16271–16276. doi:10.1073/pnas.1300239110.
- Brunstrom, J.M., Jarvstad, A., Griggs, R.L., Potter, C., Evans, N.R., Martin, A.A. … Rogers, P.J. (2016). Large portions encourage the selection of palatable rather than filling foods. Journal of Nutrition, 146(10), pp. 2117–2123. doi:10.3945/jn.116.235184.
- Bourdeaux, C.P., Thomas, M.J.C., Gould, T.H., Malhotra, G., Jarvstad, A., Jones, T. … Gilchrist, I.D. (2016). Increasing compliance with low tidal volume ventilation in the ICU with two nudge-based interventions: Evaluation through intervention time-series analyses. BMJ Open, 6(5). doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2015-010129.
- Jarvstad, A., Hahn, U., Warren, P.A. and Rushton, S.K. (2014). Are perceptuo-motor decisions really more optimal than cognitive decisions? Cognition, 130(3), pp. 397–416. doi:10.1016/j.cognition.2013.09.009.
- Jarvstad, A., Rushton, S.K., Warren, P.A. and Hahn, U. (2012). Knowing When to Move On: Cognitive and Perceptual Decisions in Time. Psychological Science, 23(6), pp. 589–597. doi:10.1177/0956797611426579.
- Jarvstad, A. and Hahn, U. (2011). Source Reliability and the Conjunction Fallacy. Cognitive Science, 35(4), pp. 682–711. doi:10.1111/j.1551-6709.2011.01170.x.
- Jarvstad, A. and Hahn, U. (2009). Unreliable sources and the conjunction fallacy. Proceedings of the 31st annual meeting of the Cognitive Science Society.