Dr Alfredo Camara
- Dr Alfredo Camara
- +44 (0)20 7040 0082
Dr Alfredo Camara is a Senior Lecturer (Associate Professor) in Structural Engineering in the School of Mathematics, Computer Science & Engineering at City University London. He received his MEng (Hons) and PhD in Bridge Engineering from the Technical University of Madrid (UPM). He has almost 2-years professional experience in structural engineering, where he was involved in the design of singular bridges and other structures.
Dr Camara has been Research Associate working on vehicle-structure interaction and advanced composite materials at Tongji University (Shanghai) and the Spanish Research Council (CSIC) respectively. From 2013 to 2015 he held a fixed-term lectureship in Structural Engineering at Imperial College London.
- PhD, Technical University of Madrid, Spain, Oct 2006 – Dec 2011
- Chartered Engineer (MCICCP), Spanish Institution of Civil Engineers (Colegio de Ingenieros de Caminos Canales y Puertos), Spain, Oct 2006
- MEng (Hons) in Civil Engineering (6-course degree), Technical University of Madrid, Spain, Oct 2000 – Jul 2006
- Research Visitor, Imperial College London, London, United Kingdom, Aug – Oct 2012
- Research Associate, Tongji University, Shanghai, China, Feb 2012 – Aug 2015
- Research Assistant, University of East London, London, United Kingdom, Apr – Oct 2010
- Research Assistant, Technical University of Madrid, Madrid, Spain, Jan 2009 – Jan 2013
- Research Assistant, Polytechnic University of Catalonia, Barcelona, Spain, Mar 2008 – Jan 2009
- Lecturer, City University London, Jan 2015 – present
- Lecturer (maternity cover), Imperial College London, Jul 2013 – Dec 2014
- Research Associate, Eduardo Torroja Institute for Construction Science (CSIC), Jan – Jul 2013
- Chartered Engineer, Pedelta Ltd., Sep 2006 – Mar 2008
English and Spanish; Castilian.
Dr Camara's research interests are related to bridge engineering and structural dynamics, seismic design, nuclear structural engineering and the vibration suppression by means of optimum passive, semi-active and active devices.
Attendance: Mar 2017 – present, part-time
Thesis title: Structural limits of super-long span cable-stayed bridges
Role: 2nd Supervisor
Attendance: Mar 2017 – present, full-time
Thesis title: The strength and stability of steel reinforcement cages in their temporary state
Role: 2nd Supervisor
Attendance: Oct 2016 – present, full-time
Thesis title: Rocking isolation for bridges with tall piers
Role: 2nd Supervisor
Attendance: Sep 2015 – present, part-time
Thesis title: The effectiveness of TRM and FRCM systems used to strengthen concrete members at ambient and elevated temperatures
Role: 2nd Supervisor
Attendance: Feb 2015 – present, full-time
Thesis title: Pushover methods for the seismic response prediction of cable-supported bridges accounting for spatial variability effects
Role: 1st Supervisor
- Thomaidis, I., Kappos, A. and Camara, A. (2019). Dynamics and seismic stability of planar symmetric rocking bridges. 2nd International Conference on Natural Hazards and Infrastructure (ICONHIC) 23-26 June, Greece.
- Stroumpouli, C., Camara, A. and Jagadeesh, C. (2019). An aerostatic approach to include the effect of adaptable wind barriers in wind-vehicle-bridge interaction analysis. UKACM Conference London.
- Wang, J., Sadowski, A.J. and Camara, A. (2019). The effect of the rupture distance of the earthquake on the seismic response of wind turbine support towers.
- Camara, A., Jagadeesh, C., Husain, S., Polec, P. and Bush, S. (2018). Driving stability in the Queen Elizabeth II Bridge under high winds. 13th UK Conference on Wind Engineering 3-4 September, Leeds (UK).
- Efthymiou, E. and Camara, A. (2018). Spatial variability effects on long-span cable-stayed bridges. 16th European Conference on Earthquake Engineering 18-21 June, Tessaloniki (Greece).
- Thomaidis, I., Camara, A. and Kappos, A. (2018). Simulating The Rocking Response Of Rigid Bodies Using General-Purpose Finite Element Software. 16th European Conference on Earthquake Engineering 18-21 June, Tessaloniki (Greece).
- Kalfas, K.N., Camara, A. and Mckinley, B. (2018). Numerical analysis of wired connections of the reinforcement bars of steel cages: The Slash-tying Technique.
- Camara, A. and Efthymiou, E. (2018). Optimum deck and tower configurations for the transverse seismic response of cable-stayed bridges.
- Thomaidis, I.M., Camara, A. and Kappos, A.J. (2017). Simulating the Response of Free-Standing Rocking Rigid Blocks using Abaqus/Standard. Abaqus Users' Meeting 18-19 October, Cheshire, UK.
- Fonseca, J. and Camara, A. (2017). Using advanced statistical tools to better understand students’ expectation of teaching. HEA Annual Conference 4-6 July, Manchester.
- Efthymiou, E.C. and Camara, A. (2017). The effect of multi-angle, spatially variable seismic motions on cable-stayed bridges.
- Efthymiou, E. and Camara, A. (2017). Effect of spatial variability of earthquakes on cable-stayed bridges.
- Efthymiou, E. and Camara, A. (2016). Spatially variable seismic ground motions and their effect on cablestayed bridges: The role of the tower.
- Kavrakov, I., Camara, A. and Morgenthal, G. (2016). Influence of model assumptions of aerodynamic models on the wind-vehicle-bridge interaction. IABSE-2016 International Symposium Stockholm.
- Kavrakov, I., Morgenthal, G. and Camara, A. (2016). Influence of aerodynamic model assumptions on the wind-vehicle- bridge interaction.
- Efthymiou, E. and Camara, A. (2015). Spatial variability effects of the seismic action in cable-stayed bridges and modelling techniques. IABSE International Symposium 20 September, Geneva.
- Efthymiou, E. and Camara, A. (2015). Spatial variability effects of the seismic action in cable-stayed bridges and modelling techniques.
- Zauft, D., Galant, J.A.L., Madrazo-Aguirre, F. and Camara, A. (2015). Iabse: An opportunity for Young Engineers to develop their social skills.
- Camara, A., Stafford, P.J., Nguyen, K. and Ruiz-Teran, A.M. (2014). Comfort in slender bridges subjected to traffic loading and hammering effects.
- Astiz, M.A. and Camara, A. (2013). Study on the seismic behaviour of cable-stayed bridges. Sixth Colombian Congress on Earthquake Engineering Bucaramanga (Colombia).
- Camara, A. and Astiz, M.A. (2011). Linear and non-linear seismic behaviour of cable-stayed bridges: design and seismic
devices. Fifth International Congress of Structures (ACHE) Barcelona (Spain).
- Camara, A., Ruiz-Teran, A.M., Stafford, P.J. and Ciupala, M.A. (2011). Non-Linear Seismic Behaviour of Under-Deck CableStayed Bridges. IABSE-IASS-2011 International Symposium London (United Kingdom).
- Camara, A. and Astiz, M.A. (2011). Seismic response of cable-stayed bridges: consequences of project decisions and use
of seismic devices. IABSE-IASS-2011 International Symposium London (United Kingdom).
- Camara, A. and Astiz, M.A. (2011). Typological study of the elastic seismic behavior of cable-stayed bridges.
- Camara, A., Ruiz-Teran, A.M., Stafford, P.J. and Ciupala, M.A. (2011). Seismic behaviour of under-deck cable-stayed bridges. Research Conference: University of East London London (United Kingdom).
- Camara, A. and Astiz, M.A. (2009). Simulation of the seismic behaviour of cable-stayed bridges. International Congress of Numerical Methods in Engineering (METNUM 09) Barcelona (Spain).
- Camara, A. and Astiz, M.A. (2009). Strategies for the numerical simulation of the elastic seismic response of cable-stayed bridges. ABAQUS Users Meeting Barcelona (Spain).
- Camara, A. and Astiz, M.A. (2008). Seismic behaviour of cable-stayed bridges. ABAQUS Users Meeting Madrid (Spain).
- Vázquez, V.F., Hidalgo, M.E., García-Hoz, A.M., Camara, A., Terán, F., Ruiz-Teran, A.M. … Paje, S.E. (2020). Tire/road noise, texture, and vertical accelerations: Surface assessment of an urban road. Applied Acoustics, 160. doi:10.1016/j.apacoust.2019.107153.
- Camara, A., Kavrakov, I., Nguyen, K. and Morgenthal, G. (2019). Complete framework of wind-vehicle-bridge interaction with random road surfaces. Journal of Sound and Vibration, 458, pp. 197–217. doi:10.1016/j.jsv.2019.06.020.
- Zhao, Z., Dai, K., Camara, A., Bitsuamlak, G. and Sheng, C. (2019). Wind Turbine Tower Failure Modes under Seismic and Wind Loads. Journal of Performance of Constructed Facilities, 33(2). doi:10.1061/(ASCE)CF.1943-5509.0001279.
- Camara, A. (2018). Seismic behavior of cable‒stayed bridges: a review. MOJ Civil Engineering, 4(3), pp. 161–169. doi:10.15406/mojce.2018.04.00115.
- Nguyen, K., Camara, A., Rio, O. and Sparowitz, L. (2017). Dynamic Effects of Turbulent Crosswind on the Serviceability State of Vibrations of a Slender Arch Bridge Including Wind-Vehicle-Bridge Interaction. Journal of Bridge Engineering, 22(11). doi:10.1061/(ASCE)BE.1943-5592.0001110.
- Camara, A., Cristantielli, R., Astiz, M.A. and Málaga-Chuquitaype, C. (2017). Design of hysteretic dampers with optimal ductility for the transverse seismic control of cable-stayed bridges. Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, 46(11), pp. 1811–1833. doi:10.1002/eqe.2884.
- Dai, K., Sheng, C., Zhao, Z., Yi, Z., Camara, A. and Bitsuamlak, G. (2017). Nonlinear response history analysis and collapse mode study of a wind turbine tower subjected to tropical cyclonic winds. Wind and Structures, An International Journal, 25(1), pp. 79–100. doi:10.12989/was.2017.25.1.079.
- Sadowski, A.J., Camara, A., Málaga-Chuquitaype, C. and Dai, K. (2017). Seismic analysis of a tall metal wind turbine support tower with realistic geometric imperfections. Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, 46(2), pp. 201–219. doi:10.1002/eqe.2785.
- Camara, A., Vázquez, V.F., Ruiz-Teran, A.M. and Paje, S.E. (2017). Influence of the pavement surface on the vibrations induced by heavy traffic in road bridges. Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering, 44(12), pp. 1099–1111. doi:10.1139/cjce-2017-0310.
- Camara, A. and Efthymiou, E. (2016). Deck–tower interaction in the transverse seismic response of cable-stayed bridges and optimum configurations. Engineering Structures, 124, pp. 494–506. doi:10.1016/j.engstruct.2016.06.017.
- Shen, X., Camara, A. and Ye, A. (2015). Effects of seismic devices on transverse responses of piers in the Sutong Bridge. Earthquake Engineering and Engineering Vibration, 14(4), pp. 611–623. doi:10.1007/s11803-015-0049-7.
- Camara, A. and Ruiz-Teran, A.M. (2015). Multi-mode traffic-induced vibrations in composite ladder-deck bridges under heavy moving vehicles. Journal of Sound and Vibration, 355, pp. 264–283. doi:10.1016/j.jsv.2015.06.026.
- Camara, A., Astiz, M.A. and Ye, A.J. (2014). Fundamental mode estimation for modern cable-stayed bridges considering the tower flexibility. Journal of Bridge Engineering, 19(6). doi:10.1061/(ASCE)BE.1943-5592.0000585.
- Camara, A., Nguyen, K., Ruiz-Teran, A.M. and Stafford, P.J. (2014). Serviceability limit state of vibrations in under-deck cable-stayed bridges accounting for vehicle-structure interaction. Engineering Structures, 61, pp. 61–72. doi:10.1016/j.engstruct.2013.12.030.
- Camara, A. and Astiz, M.A. (2014). Analysis and control of cable-stayed bridges subject to seismic action. Structural Engineering International: Journal of the International Association for Bridge and Structural Engineering (IABSE), 24(1), pp. 27–36. doi:10.2749/101686614X13830790993762.
- Cámara, A. and Astiz, M.A. (2014). Applicability of the strategies for the elastic seismic analysis of cable-stayed bridges. Revista Internacional de Metodos Numericos para Calculo y Diseno en Ingenieria, 30(1), pp. 42–50. doi:10.1016/j.rimni.2012.10.001.
- Camara, A., Ruiz-Teran, A.M. and Stafford, P.J. (2013). Structural behaviour and design criteria of under-deck cable-stayed bridges subjected to seismic action. Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, 42(6), pp. 891–912. doi:10.1002/eqe.2251.
- Camara, A. and Astiz, M.A. (2012). Pushover analysis for the seismic response prediction of cable-stayed bridges under multi-directional excitation. Engineering Structures, 41, pp. 444–455. doi:10.1016/j.engstruct.2012.03.059.
- Oliva, J., Antolin, P., Camara, A. and Goicolea, J.M. (2011). Análisis estructural de algunas obras de Félix Candela mediante modelos de elementos finitos. Hormigon y Acero, 62(260), pp. 61–76.
Dr Alfredo Camara is actively involved in teaching and supervision at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels.