Dr Alexander Lanoszka
I am a Lecturer in the Department of International Politics at City, University of London. I was previously a Postdoctoral Fellow at the Dickey Center for International Understanding at Dartmouth College. Beforehand I was a Stanton Nuclear Security Postdoctoral Fellow at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology's Security Studies Program. In May 2014, I completed my doctorate in the Department of Politics at Princeton University.
My research addresses issues in American foreign policy, alliance politics, nuclear strategy, and theories of war.
I have so far published in Security Studies, Survival, International Affairs, International Theory, and elsewhere. I have done work on East Asia but my primary regional focus is on East Central Europe.
For more information about me, please visit my website at www.alexlanoszka.com
- PhD in Politics, Princeton University, United States
- BA (Hons) in International Relations, University of Windsor, Canada
- MA in Politics, Princeton University, United States
- Lanoszka, , Yarhi-Milo, K. and Cooper, Z. (2017). How can Donald Trump reassure nervous U.S. allies? By giving them weapons. The Monkey Cage.
- Lanoszka, Trumped Up Alliances? E-International Relations.
- Lanoszka, and Hunzeker, M.A. Insurgency and Deterrence on NATO's Northeastern Flank. Modern War Institute.
- Lanoszka, A. (2017). Goodbye to all that? Institutionalist theory, U.S. alliances, and Donald Trump. Contemporary Security Policy, 38(1), pp. 41–46. doi:10.1080/13523260.2016.1268031.
- Lanoszka, (2016). How Russia 'Does' and Understands Deterrence in the 21st Century. Ares & Athena, (7), pp. 12–13.
- Yarhi-Milo, K., Lanoszka, A. and Cooper, Z. (2016). To arm or to ally? The patron's dilemma and the strategic logic of arms transfers and alliances. International Security, 41(2), pp. 90–139. doi:10.1162/ISEC_a_00250.
- Lanoszka, A. and Hunzeker, M.A. (2016). Confronting the anti-access/area denial and precision strike challenge in the Baltic region. RUSI Journal, 161(5), pp. 12–18. doi:10.1080/03071847.2016.1253367.
- Lanoszka, and Hunzeker, M. (2016). Landpower and American Credibility. Parameters: the United States army's senior professional journal, 45(4), pp. 17–26.
- Lanoszka, A. (2016). Russian hybrid warfare and extended deterrence in eastern Europe. International Affairs, 92(1), pp. 175–195. doi:10.1111/1468-2346.12509.
- Lanoszka, A. and Hunzeker, M.A. (2015). Rage of honor: Entente indignation and the lost chance for peace in the first world war. Security Studies, 24(4), pp. 662–695. doi:10.1080/09636412.2015.1103135.
- Lanoszka, A. (2015). Do allies really free ride? Survival, 57(3), pp. 133–152. doi:10.1080/00396338.2015.1046229.
- Lanoszka, A. (2013). Beyond consent and coercion: Using republican political theory to understand international hierarchies. International Theory, 5(3), pp. 382–413. doi:10.1017/S1752971913000249.