Dr Alejandro Riano Londono
Alejandro is a Lecturer in Economics and a Research Fellow of CESifo, the Nottingham Centre for Globalisation and Economic Policy (GEP) and the Centre for Finance and Macroeconomics (CFCM).
His research explores how individuals and firms adjust to globalisation and focuses on three overarching themes:
1. Documenting and quantifying the effect of export promotion policies such as subsidies and special economic zones on firm-level export performance, competitiveness and aggregate welfare;
2. Investigating whether globalization increases firms’ real and financial volatility; and
3. Exploring how trade liberalization and offshoring affect labor market outcomes, such as wage inequality and informality in developing countries.
Alejandro has been an external consultant for the World Bank's Trade and Competitiveness Practice evaluating the impact of export promotion policies on firm-level export performance in the Dominican Republic, Nepal and Pakistan. He has also been a consultant for the Inter-American Development Bank.
Alejandro has ample experience teaching macroeconomics, international trade and econometrics at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels. He has taught macroeconomics at the Central Bank of Malta
- PGCHE, University of Nottingham, 2014
- PhD, Pennsylvania State University, United States, 2009
- BA, Universidad de Los Andes, Colombia, 2001
- Associate Professor of Economics, University of Nottingham, Jan 2018 – Jan 2020
- Assistant Professor of Economics, University of Nottingham, Jan 2011 – Jan 2018
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Leverhulme Centre for Research in Globalisation and Economic Policy, 2009 – 2011
- Defever, F. and Riaño, A. (2017). Subsidies with export share requirements in China.
- Defever, F., Reyes, J.D., Riaño, A. and Varela, G. (2020). All these worlds are yours, except india: The effectiveness of cash subsidies to export in nepal. European Economic Review, 128. doi:10.1016/j.euroecorev.2020.103494.
- Defever, F., Reyes, J.-.D., Riaño, A. and Sánchez-Martín, M.E. (2018). Special Economic Zones and WTO Compliance: Evidence from the Dominican Republic. Economica. doi:10.1111/ecca.12276.
- Defever, F. and Riaño, A. (2017). Subsidies with export share requirements in China. Journal of Development Economics, 126, pp. 33–51. doi:10.1016/j.jdeveco.2016.12.003.
- Girma, S., Lancheros, S. and Riaño, A. (2016). Global Engagement and Returns Volatility. Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, 78(6), pp. 814–833. doi:10.1111/obes.12150.
- Defever, F. and Riaño, A. (2015). The political economyof trade policy: Gone for good? Subsidies with export share requirements in China: 2002-13. World Bank Economic Review, 29. doi:10.1093/wber/lhv020.
- Agarwal, N., Milner, C. and Riaño, A. (2014). Credit constraints and spillovers from foreign firms in China. Journal of Banking and Finance, 48, pp. 261–275. doi:10.1016/j.jbankfin.2014.01.036.
- Heid, B., Larch, M. and Riaño, A. (2013). The rise of the Maquiladoras: A mixed blessing. Review of Development Economics, 17(2), pp. 252–267. doi:10.1111/rode.12030.
- Riaño, A. (2011). Exports, investment and firm-level sales volatility. Review of World Economics, 147(4), pp. 643–663. doi:10.1007/s10290-011-0104-z.
- Chong, A., Guillen, J. and Riano, A. (2010). Political and institutional environment and privatization prices. Public Choice, 142(1-2), pp. 91–110. doi:10.1007/s11127-009-9476-1.
- Ferrantino, M., Riano, A., Defever, F., Engel, J., Arenas, G.C., Ahdiyyih, S. … Mirabal, J. (2017). Special Economic Zones in the Dominican Republic : Policy Considerations for a More Competitive and Inclusive Sector. The World Bank Group.
- Defever, F. and Riano, A. (2019). China's Dual Export Sector.
- Bai, Y., Girma, S. and Riano, A. (2020). Corporate Acquisitions and Firm-level Uncertainty: Domestic versus Cross-Border Deals. London, UK: Department of Economics, City, University of London.
- Defever, F., Reyes, J.-.D., Riano, A. and Varela, G. (2020). All These Worlds are Yours, Except India: The Effectiveness of Cash Subsidies to Export in Nepal. London, UK: Department of Economics, City, University of London.
- Defever, F., Riano Londono, A. and Varela, G. (2020). Evaluating the Impact of Export Finance Support On Firm-level Export Performance: Evidence from Pakistan. London, UK: Department of Economics, City, University of London.
- Defever, F., Reyes, J.D., Riaño, A. and Sánchez-Martín, M.E. (2019). Special Economic Zones and WTO Compliance: Evidence from the Dominican Republic.
- Defever, F. and Riano, A. (2017). Twin Peaks. London, UK: Department of Economics, City, University of London.