Dr Abenaa Owusu-Bempah
- Dr Abenaa Owusu-Bempah
- + 44 (0)20 7040 3185
Abenaa joined The City Law School as Lecturer in Law in September 2015. She teaches Criminal Law and the Law of Evidence. Prior to joining City, Abenaa was Lecturer in Law at the University of Sussex. She has also held positions as a Teaching Fellow at UCL, and as a research assistant at the Law Commission for England and Wales.
Abenaa’s research interests lie primarily in the areas of criminal law, criminal procedure, and the law of evidence. She is particularly interested in the relationship between the law of evidence, criminal procedure, and the right to a fair trial. Abenaa also has expertise in hate crime legislation.
Abenaa is a Fellow of The Higher Education Academy and an Associate Fellow of the Ghana Institute of Advanced Legal Studies.
Abenaa holds a PhD from UCL, an LLM in Criminology and Criminal Justice from UCL, and an LLB from the University of Bristol.
- Owusu-Bempah, A. (2016). Defendant participation in the criminal process. ISBN 978-1-317-66469-7.
- Owusu-Bempah, (2016). Introduction: Participatory Requirements and Rights. In Owusu-Bempah, (Ed.), Defendant Participation in the Criminal Process (pp. 1–17). UK: Routledge. ISBN 978-1-317-66468-0.
- Owusu-Bempah, and Walters, M.A. (2016). Racially aggravated offences: when does section 145 of the Criminal Justice Act 2003 apply? Criminal Law Review, (2), pp. 116–123.
- Owusu-Bempah, and Wortley, N. (2016). Unfit to Plead or Unfit to Testify? R v Orr  EWCA Crim 889. Journal of Criminal Law, 80(6), pp. 391–396.
- Owusu-Bempah, A. (2015). Vulnerable Defendants and the Right to Silence. The Journal of Criminal Law, 79(5), pp. 322–325. doi:10.1177/0022018315605230.
- Owusu-Bempah, A. (2015). Prosecuting hate crime: Procedural issues and the future of the aggravated offences. Legal Studies, 35(3), pp. 443–462. doi:10.1111/lest.12072.
- Owusu-Bempah, A. (2014). Silence in suspicious circumstances. Criminal Law Review, 2014(1), pp. 126–135.
- Owusu-Bempah, (2013). Improving Sentencing of Hate Crime. Criminal Law and Justice Weekly, 177, pp. 559–560.
- Owusu-Bempah, (2013). Solving the Problem of Surfing Jurors. Criminal Law and Justice Weekly, 177, pp. 37–38.
- Owusu-Bempah, A. (2013). Defence Participation through Pre-Trial Disclosure: Issues and Implications. The International Journal of Evidence & Proof, 17(2), pp. 183–201. doi:10.1350/ijep.2013.17.2.425.
- Owusu-Bempah, A. (2011). Judging the desirability of a defendant's Evidence: An unfortunate approach to s.35(l)(b) of the criminal justice and public order act 1994. Criminal Law Review, (9), pp. 690–704.