Top ten tips for how to make money from your writing
Want to make money from your writing? Follow publishing consultant Heather O’Connell’s top tips for becoming an authorpreneur…
- Think like a publisher not a writer: stop thinking about the work and start thinking about the market for your work.
- Know what you want to achieve: to succeed you need to be clear about your aims. Do you want to publish for pleasure, become a best seller, or publish to further your existing business?
- Now find out what you need to do to achieve these aims.
- Examine your strengths and weaknesses. Understand which elements you can do and which you can’t. Then find experts who can help you fill in the gaps.
- Be realistic: set achievable goals and pace yourself.
- Build your platform to reach your target audience.
- Understand your USP. What is special/interesting about you? Why will people buy your book and not another one in the same genre/on the same subject?
- Know the market. Understand who will buy your book and get to know them.
- Know where your readers hang out – which social media do they use etc?
- Have fun!