Competition experts discuss European regulation at City event
Round table organised by the Centre for Competition and Regulatory Policy
Leading experts in competition within the financial services industry have discussed the effectiveness of UK and EU regulation policy at a City, University of London event.
Speakers at the round table discussion included senior figures from the Bank of England, Ofgem, the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), the European Banking Authority and the Competition Authority in the Netherlands.
Titled “New insights into competition regulation and consumer protection”, the event was attended by competition practitioners, economists, academics and the general public.
Dr Xeni Dassiou, Director of CCRP said speakers considered what utility regulators and competition authorities could learn from European financial regulators, and vice versa.
"The panellists looked at the demand sides and remedies in competition, the most fundamental technological changes facing competition regulation (including fintech and block chain developments), the long-run issues of competition in financial services and their implications for consumer protection," she said, "as well as what lessons can be transferred across the use of financial regulation to utilities regulation and vice versa.
"The roundtable was a highly successful event with a large number of attendees from regulatory bodies, senior practitioners from consultancies, academics and postgraduate students. Following some compelling presentations by the panellists, the event was followed by a very lively discussion and questions from the floor."
Speakers and panelists
- Professor Paul Grout, competition advisor to the Bank of England and Non-Executive Director of Ofgem
- Professor Amelia Fletcher, OBE
- Robin Finer, Acting Chief Economist of the Financial Conduct Authority
- Mary Starks, Executive Director of the Consumers and Markets directorate at Ofgem and former Chief Economist of the FCA
- Adam Farkas, Executive Director of European Banking Authority (EBA)
- Dr Luis Correia da Silva, Partner, Regulation, Competition & Financial Services, Oxera (panel chair)
- Opening remarks: Dr Xeni Dassiou, Director of CCRP and Reader in Economics at City.