Let's get it started!
City University London's CityStarters team is delighted to host the second annual Startup Fest at Cass Business School next Tuesday 7th October from 3pm. The fair is a showcase for all the initiatives at City to support and mentor budding entrepreneurs from across the University community - students, alumni and staff.
The event is free and kicks off with a marketplace exhibition where guests are invited to ask as many questions as possible of the teams in attendance.
These teams include:
- CityStarters - City's entrepreneurial education team
- The Hangout - City's co-working space - free office space for entrepreneurs at City
- City Unrulyversity - Tech City's pop-up university - hosted by City academics
- The Cass Entrepreneurship Fund - a £10 million venture capital fund that is open to applications from students, staff and alumni
- Cass Entrepreneurship Network - a student and alumni networking group.
In addition, there will be four half hour taster sessions to give attendees a flavour of the kind of learning and support available for entrepreneurs here at City. The speakers are:
- Paul Sturrock - Director, Slingshot Venture Development Ltd.
- Dr Stefania Zerbinati - Senior Lecturer in Entrepreneurship, Cass Business School
- Dr Caroline Wiertz - Reader in Marketing, Cass Business School
- Stuart Scott - Manager, City Interaction Lab
Startup Fest continues into the evening and features a panel discussion with student and alumni entrepreneurs who will talk about their startup journey. The discussion will be moderated by Alex Wood, City alumnus and founder and editor of Tech City News.
Following the discussion, CityStarters will launch their start-up manifesto, an online guide to the highs and lows of entrepreneurship and CitySpark 2014 - the University's business plan and development competition. CitySpark runs throughout the academic year and cash prizes are awarded at the end of the autumn term and the end of the year.
Student Enterprise Manager, Ben Mumby-Croft says: "After last year's successful event we're absolutely delighted to be running Startup Fest again at Cass Business School. City University London has a unique location between the City of London and Silicon Roundabout, Europe's fastest growing startup cluster, and this event provides the perfect opportunity to celebrate our existing entrepreneurial culture and inspire the next generation of talent from across the University."