This new book introduces the term musical care: the role that music - music listening as well as music-making - plays in supporting any aspect of people's developmental or health needs. For example physical and mental health, cognitive and behavioural development, and interpersonal relationships. It also:
- provides interdisciplinary insight into how musical care is understood and undertaken during different stages of the life course
- offers a variety of perspectives from practitioners and researchers
- ranges through the entire life course and reflects on the role of musical care at each stage
This event will include:
- An introduction to the book by the editors.
- The debut of the animated video series inspired by the book.
- Invited responses to the book by speakers across a range of disciplines:
- Professor Raymond MacDonald, Chair of Music Psychology and Improvisation, Music, UK.
- Professor Helen Odell Miller OBE, Professor of Music Therapy, Director, Cambridge Institute for Music Therapy Research, UK.
- Professor Vivette Glover, Emeritus Professor of Perinatal Psychobiology, Imperial College London, UK.
- A panel discussion with some book chapter authors including Ian Cross, Shannon K. de l’Etoile, Camilla Farrant, Tal-chen Rabinowitch, Sandra Trehub, and Giorgos Tsiris
- Introduction of the international and interdisciplinary network on musical care
Register here for this free online event.
Attendance at City events is subject to our terms and conditions.