Come join us as we launch the new book Collaborative Insights: Interdisciplinary Perspectives on Musical Care Throughout the Life Course, edited by Neta Spiro and Katie Rose M. Sanfilippo.
This new book introduces the term musical care: the role that music - music listening as well as music-making - plays in supporting any aspect of people's developmental or health needs. For example physical and mental health, cognitive and behavioural development, and interpersonal relationships. It also:
- provides interdisciplinary insight into how musical care is understood and undertaken during different stages of the life course
- offers a variety of perspectives from practitioners and researchers
- ranges through the entire life course and reflects on the role of musical care at each stage
This event, hosted by the Royal College of Music and City, University of London, will include:
- An introduction to the book by the editors.
- The debut of the animated video series inspired by the book.
- The series was created in collaboration with Fat Panda and consists of eight short videos with original music by Daniel Chant-Burgess
- Invited responses to the book by speakers across a range of disciplines:
- Professor Raymond MacDonald, Chair of Music Psychology and Improvisation, Music, UK
- Professor Helen Odell Miller OBE, Professor of Music Therapy, Director, Cambridge Institute for Music Therapy Research, UK
- Dr Alain Gregoire, Perinatal Psychiatrist, Hon President, Maternal Mental Health Alliance UK, Chair, Global Alliance for Maternal Mental Health.
- A panel discussion with some book chapter authors including Ian Cross, Shannon K. de l’Etoile, Camilla Farrant, Tal-chen Rabinowitch, Sandra Trehub, and Giorgos Tsiris
- Introduction of the international and interdisciplinary network on musical care.
Attendance at City events is subject to our terms and conditions.