5th Short Course & Forum on Computational Fluid Dynamics in Rotary Positive Displacement Machines
4th and 5th September 2021
About the Short Course
Since 2013, the Centre for Compressor Technology at City, University of London has organised very successful forums/short-courses on CFD in Positive Displacement Machines (PDM).
These typically contain a strong input from the compressor industry, CFD software providers and academia. Our fifth event in the series is dedicated to new methods and advanced topics in the application of chamber models, 3D CFD and experimental techniques in PDM such as:
- Advances in grid generation, CFD tools, Open source CFD solvers and new techniques for PD machine analysis.
- Applicability of new CFD methods such as Lattice Boltzmann Methods, Smoothed particle hydrodynamics, Mesh free algorithms.
- Modelling leakage flows, conjugate heat transfer, stability and accuracy of Multiphase flow calculations.
- Prediction of clearance gap sizes during operation and application of modern FSI computations
- Advances in chamber modelling and hybrid 1D – 3D CFD coupled approaches.
- Experimental techniques for analysis of PDM.
Who should participate
Participants from industry and academia are invited to present results of their research and analysis in the forum. To aid the research further; the forum will provide test results of dry air and oil injected twin screw compressors, a roots-blower, a dry air single screw expander and an ORC vane expander data for benchmark studies.
This short course/forum will bring benefits to engineers, engineering managers and specialists from industry, students, researchers and educators from academia and anyone who is interested in the modelling and design of rotary positive displacement machines.
It will be presented by leading scientists and researchers from industry and academia and will give an insight into new technologies and the state of the art in the modelling PDM.
Short course programme
Saturday 4th September 2021
09.00 Welcome and Introduction - Prof Ahmed Kovacevic
09:15 Introduction to CFD analysis in positive displacement machines using FVM - Professor Hrvoje Jasak,University of Cambridge, UK
- Fundamental governing equations
- CFD modelling techniques
- Deforming grids, Fluid-Structure Interaction
10:30 Coffee Break
Session Two: CFD and Grid generation for Screw Machines
10:45 Advances in Screw Machines technology - Prof Ahmed Kovacevic, City, University of London, UK
- SECRET Project and Developments in CHT and Leakage flow – Experimental and Numerical
- Historical perspective of CFD analysis of Twin Screw Machines
- State-of-the-art Grid generation techniques
- Lower order performance prediction models
11:45 Deforming Grid and Modelling in Twin Screw Machines - Dr Sham Rane, City, University of London, UK
- New developments in Screw Machine grid generation using Elliptic PDE solver
- Grid Generation for variety of twin screw machines
- CHT and FEM-FVM Solver coupling
12:30 Lunch Break
Session Three: Developments in Numerical Aspects and Modelling
14:00 Screw Machine Integrated models – SCORG & GT Suite GT Suite
Mr Jonathan Harrison, Mr Jon Zenker, Mr Gautham Ramchandran, Gamma Technologies, USA
- Governing theory and solver technology
- Applications of Compressor and Expander modelling
- Optimisation and New developments
14:45 Flow modelling of oil-flooded screw compressors using a cut-cell based mesh with adaptive refinement - Dr David Rowinski, Convergent Science Inc., USA
- Oil-flooded screw compressor test case
- Multiphase, Gap flow modelling
- Solver configuration, Pre/Post processing
15:30 Modelling Conjugate Heat Transfer in PD Compressors with Simerics-MP+ - Dr Hui Ding, Simerics Inc.,USA
- New Developments
- Modelling Conjugate Heat Transfer in PD Compressors with Simerics-MP+
16:15 Coffee Break
16:30 Discussion 1 - Forum
Chair: A. Kovacevic
17:30: Close of Day One
Sunday 5th September 2021
Session Four: Keynote on CFD and FSI
09:30 OpenFOAM CFD solver for Large Deformation FSI - Prof Zeljko Tukovic, University of Zagreb, Croatia
- FSI solver in OpenFOAM
- CFD implementation and numerical aspects
10:45 Coffee Break
Session Five: Modelling of Vane Machines
11:00 Analytical grid generation methodology and CFD simulations on sliding vane machines - Dr Giuseppe Bianchi, Mr Fanghua Ye, Brunel University London, UK
- CFD simulations in rotary vane machines
- Analytical grid generation for non-circular housing and blade-offset arrangement for both single-acting and double-acting machines
- ASNSYS Fluent solver validation of the CFD simulations is an ORC expander and energy recovery device for desalination
12:00 Lunch Break
Session Six: Modelling flows in rotary machines – Industrial Applications
13:30 CFD Analysis and ANSYS solutions for Positive Displacement Machines - Mr Bill Holmes, ANSYS Inc. Canada
- ANSYS CFX and FLUENT methodology
- ANSYS Forte methodology
- Gap flow modelling
Test cases and other application examples
14:15 Open source analysis and design of PD machines - Mr Nicola Casari, Ettore Fadiga, Pinelli Michele, University of Ferrara, Italy, Dr Davide Ziviani, Purdue University, USA
- PD simulation techniques in OF.SCORG coupling with OF and CFD analysis of Twin-screw machines.
- Scroll meshing strategy and implementation in OF.
- CFD simulation of Scroll machines.
- CFD integration in 1D tool for the support in the design.
- PDSim Description and OF integration.
- PDSim vs CFD result comparison.
15:15 Coffee Break
Session 7: Advanced topics related to CFD analysis
15:30 Experimental techniques to study heat transfer and flow field in clearances of positive displacement machines - Mr Brijeshkumar Patel, City, University of London, UK
- Planar Laser-Induced Fluorescence (PLIF) to visualize the temperature field.
- Flow in optical roots blower by phase-locked PIV, Vortex distribution, CFD flow validation.
- Physics of heat transfer and flow dynamics in the clearance gaps
16:15 Numerical study of different type of customised mesh for twin screw vacuum pumps - Mr Yang Lu, City, University of London, UK
- Algorithms, Application to Twin Screw Rotor
- Vacuum pumps
- Low vi Screw Compressors and CFD analysis
17:00 Coffee Break
17:15 Discussion 2 - Forum
Chair: A. Kovacevic
18:15 Close of the Short course
18:30 Reception for 12th International Conference on Compressors and their Systems