Bloomberg journalists and executives, including Matt Winkler, Co-Founder and Editor-in-Chief Emeritus of Bloomberg News, will teach courses while others will be led by faculty from UNC Hussman School of Journalism and Media and the Department of Journalism at City, University of London.
The programme will lead participants through principles of reporting, editing and applied business and economic knowledge.
Participants of the programme will:
- Acquire a basic overview of markets and financial concepts.
- Learn the fundamentals of business journalism, one of the most in-demand fields in media today.
- Practice writing and reporting techniques via hands-on instruction with Bloomberg journalists.
- Gain insights on working in a diverse environment and the importance of representation in journalism.
- Join an accomplished group of fellow students and program alumni who will serve as mentors as you navigate your career path.
The summer 2021 programme will be conducted virtually.
All costs to participants will be covered, including assistance with remote connectivity.
Who should apply?
- Applicants must be a degree-seeking student at a university in the United Kingdom
- University students who have demonstrated a strong interest in pursuing a career in journalism and want to be exposed to the world of business journalism. A background in business or business journalism is not required.
- Incoming undergraduate second year and above are eligible to apply. Graduating bachelor's students (Summer 2021) are also welcome.
- Students from historically underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
Deadline: Tuesday, 22 March 2021
Students interested in the programme should complete an online application.
The following materials must be uploaded as part of the application:
- A curriculum vitae
- An unofficial transcript of grades so far
- One writing sample (500 words): Identify your professional role model in journalism. What attributes do you admire most about this person and why?
- Contact information for one academic reference
Applications for the 2021 programme are due by 11:59 p.m. (GMT) on Tuesday, 22 March 2021.
Finalists will be contacted for an interview via video conferencing after the application closing date.
About the Bloomberg-UNC-City partnership
The Bloomberg-UNC Business Journalism Diversity Programmes have two aims: to introduce journalism students to the dynamic field of business journalism and to increase diversity among journalists reporting on business.
It will provide participants unparalleled access to a leading financial news organization, as well as to some of the most influential people in the industry.
UNC-Chapel Hill has partnered with Bloomberg since 2017 to provide the Bloomberg-UNC-Berkeley Business Journalism Diversity Programme at UNC-Chapel Hill and the University of California, Berkeley.
The programme has given more than 60 students from diverse backgrounds the opportunity to learn the fundamentals of business journalism.
The Bloomberg-UNC-City Business Journalism Diversity Programme had its inaugural program in 2019.
Bloomberg Editorial and Research aims to be the definitive chronicle of capitalism, with 2,700 Bloomberg journalists and analysts in 120 countries delivering more than 5,000 stories a day to Bloomberg Terminal subscribers.
Bloomberg News also feeds the publications and broadcasts produced by Bloomberg Media Group, the company's consumer-facing media organization across digital, TV, radio, streaming video, print, and live events.
Bloomberg, the global business and financial information and news leader, gives influential decision makers a critical edge by connecting them to a dynamic network of information, people and ideas. The company's strength – delivering data, news and analytics through innovative technology, quickly and accurately – is at the core of the Bloomberg Terminal.
Bloomberg's enterprise solutions build on the company's core strength: leveraging technology to allow customers to access, integrate, distribute and manage data and information across organizations more efficiently and effectively.
For more information, visit the Bloomberg website or request a demo.
For more information, please contact Director of Global, Immersive and Professional Programs Liana Pinner.