Credit: Everett Collection / Shutterstock.com
The Space Launch & Operations is a 2-day CPD course designed to provide attendees with knowledge about spaceports, spaceflight operators (the vehicles), the range (with associated flight safety analysis) and applicable UK Regulations and the licensing process. This CPD course aims to be the first step in addressing the skills gap in the UK space launch industry.
- To provide an insight into the specific activities associated with spaceports, spaceflight operators and the range that are required to meet the Regulations.
- The main areas covered include Space Industry Act (Regulations and Guidance Material), ground safety analysis, flight safety analysis, safety case, major accident hazards, justifying risks are As Low As Reasonably Practicable (ALARP) – which are the main focus for the launch licensing process.
Who is the CPD course for and what are the benefits?
This CPD course is specifically for anyone involved in, or hoping to become involved in, the emerging commercial space launch industry. Although it is focused on the emerging UK Launch operators and Regulations, it is also relevant for others around the globe interested in spaceports and spaceflight operators.
This CPD course will provide detailed information on some activities required to attain a spaceport or spaceflight operator launch license. The CPD course will have first-hand presentations by spaceports, spaceflight operators and the Regulator. The CPD course presents an opportunity to provide you or your team with a broader understanding about spaceports or spaceflight operators and includes information about the range, orbital spacecraft and re-entry requirements; hence you may have a person working solely in one role (Security Lead in the CAA/UKSA for example, or Chief Engineer for a spaceflight operator) and so this CPD course would provide a deeper understanding of the interactions between spaceport and spaceflight operator and regulatory requirements.
The CPD course is intended for the following:
- Spaceport personnel
- Spaceflight Operator personnel
- Range Control personnel
- UK Space Agency personnel
- UK Civil Aviation Authority personnel
- UK Health & Safety Executive personnel (including HSL)
- Local Councils/Enterprises (working with the spaceports)
- Satellite Manufacturers/Suppliers/Brokers
- Support Service organisations (consultancy)
- Logistical Support Service organisations
- Anyone in related industries (aviation, oil & gas, etc) looking for opportunities in the space community
- Other people with an interest in space launch and operations
The Module is Directed by the LSIC and the 2 days will be run by Dr Andy Quinn, who has been working in the industry with Reaction Engines, the Regulators (CAA & UKSA) and Industry since 2012, as well as lecturing on MSc Programmes at City University since 2015.
Andy Quinn gained a distinction for his doctoral research on spaceflight safety with City University in 2011, after first studying for his MSc in 2006 and also attaining a distinction for his thesis covering safety considerations of Virgin Galactic’s passengers. He continued his passion for spaceflight systems safety and has worked with Reaction Engines on the Skylon spaceplane concept and Synergistic Air Breathing Rocket Engine since 2012, as well as other recent contracts and spaceport studies.
Andy was involved early on with the UK Launch aspirations, undertaking a study for the CAA on the proposed 6 horizontal spaceports in 2015. He was then part of the UKSA-funded NSTP2 study into vertical launch sites in 2017, providing safety and regulatory advice and assessment.
Following his passion, and concern, for the suborbital tourism flights, Andy authored a book ‘Your Spaceflight, Your Safety’ primarily to provide an overview of the risks for the prospective Virgin Galactic and Blue Origin passengers (https://yourspaceflight.com).
Additional speakers will be from Spaceports, Launch Vehicle Operators and a member of the Regulator’s space team including:
CPD Course Fees
The CPD course fee is £500.
There is a 50% discount available to:
- City alumni
- Current students with interest in space (at City and other universities)
- Government agencies
Participants will receive a Certificate of Attendance upon successful completion of the CPD course
Attendance at City events is subject to our terms and conditions.