Please note this event will take online via Zoom. Attendees will need to have a Zoom account to access the event, a free Zoom account can be set up at registration.
DOTDeaf is an Erasmus+ funded project providing learning opportunities to a specific group of deaf adults, Deaf Language Specialists (DLSs) and co-working Speech and Language Therapists (SLTs). DLSs are a small group with specialist skills who work with deaf children and adults in educational, social and health settings.
This event is an opportunity to find out about the development of the training modules and how they were adapted to other signed languages and national contexts. We will showcase the online modules developed by project partners and hear from DLS and SLT teams involved in piloting the training.
The workshop will be suitable for:
- Speech & Language Therapists
- Deaf Language Specialists
- Service managers interested in developments in signed language therapy
The project represents the work of representatives from the following organisations:
- Joanna Hoskin & Ros Herman, City, University of London (UK)
- Arancha Diez Abella, Fundación CNSE (Spain)
- Mar Pérez Martin and colleagues, Equipo Especifico de Discapacidad Auditiva (Spain)
- Ana Mineiro, Helena Carmo & Sebastião Palha, Universidade Catolica Portuguesa (Portugal)
- Felipe Barbosa, Universidade de Sao Paulo (Brazil)
The languages of the conference will be English and International Sign. Afternoon breakout rooms will run in the languages of the project partners: BSL/English, LSE/Spanish, LGP/Portuguese.
For more information about the project and workshop, join our blog.
Please follow the @dotdeaf project on Twitter.
Please see the video below to see how the DOTDeaf Project developed over 10 years. The timeline is in written English and BSL.
Click here to download a pdf version of the programme.
The programme is also available in Spanish and Portuguese.
|09:30 - 10:00||Registration and Online Learning (project timeline and other resources)||Dr Joanna Hoskin (English/BSL)|
Lenka Novakova (BSL/IS)
|10:00 - 10:15||Welcome|
Keynote: Language Deprivation and Language Difficulties in Signing Deaf Children
|Prof Ros Herman (English)|
Dr Kate Rowley (IS)
|10:15 - 11:30||Session 1: Background to the Project|
1. Introduction to the DOTDeaf project
2. Using the Articulate Storyline tool for accessible online training
3. Different cultures for shared work between SLTs and DLSs
4. Different cultures for DLSs in project partner countries UK, Spain and Portugal
|Chair: Ros Herman (English)|
Joanna Hoskin (English)
Arancha Diez Abella (IS)
Amaya Lopez (English)
Helena Carmo (LGP/IS with English subtitles)
|11:30 - 11:45||Break|
|11:45 - 13:00||Session 2: SLTs and DLSs Working Together|
Case Study 1 - UK
Case Study 2 - Spain
Case Study 3 - Portugal
|Chair: Dr Felipe Barbosa (English) |
Joanna Hoskin (English)
Mar Perez Martin (English)
Dr Paulo Vaz de Carvalho (English)
|13:00 - 13:45||Lunch|
|13:45 - 14:45||Session 3: The Training Modules|
Dr Joanna Hoskin & Lenka Novakova
Marina Areosa & Irina Martinez
Helena Carmo & Sebastião Palha
|14:45 - 15:00||Break|
|15:00 - 15:45||Session 4: |
1. Using the Training Modules in a Mental Health Service
2. Using the Training Modules in an Education Service
3. Signed Language Therapy in Brazil
4. Panel Discussion/Q&A – please direct questions to individual panel members via ‘chat’ (indicate if you prefer to sign your question)
|Co-chairs: Lenka Novakova (BSL/IS) & Ros Herman (English)|
Tim Richardson (English)
Kate Green (English)
Felipe Barbosa (English)
Joanna Hoskin (English), Arancha Diez Abella (IS), Mar Perez Martin (English), Helena Carmo (IS), Paulo Vaz de Carvalho (English)
|15:45 - 16:00||Keynote: The Achievements of DOTDeaf and Next Steps||Prof Bencie Woll (English)|
|16:00||Feedback Poll & End of Session|
Attendance at City events is subject to our terms and conditions.