1. Undergraduate
  2. Postgraduate Law
  3. Professional
  4. Continuing Professional Development
  5. LLB in Legal Practice (Online)
  6. Applicant Information
  7. Online chat sessions
  1. LPC



Thank you for applying to undertake the Legal Practice Course (LPC) at The City Law School. Our applicant page will provide all the information you need to know about your LPC application. We'll keep you updated with all latest news from the School; key dates and deadlines; and what happens next with your application.

We treat all of our students as individuals and provide one-to-one advice about your career from the moment you accept your place with us. Designed in consultation with the leading firms, our LPC ensures that you have the skills and knowledge needed to be successful in today's legal profession.

Provisional Dates and Deadlines 2017

  • Course Registration: 11th September 2017
  • Term dates: The term dates for 2017/18 are yet to be confirmed.  Teaching on Stage 1 will commence immediately after registration and will run until the end of January with a Reading Week in October and a break for Christmas. Please note that there will be assessments in the first week of January and a revision and assessment period in February/early March.  Teaching on Stage 2 will commence in March and run until the end of May, with a break for Easter, and will be followed by a revision and assessment period running until mid-June.
  • Students who choose the LLM route will complete their dissertation over the summer and submit it in September.

Please note that the above information is provisional. 

I've been offered a place, what do I need to do next?

Accept your place

To accept your place with us, please return:

  • Your acceptance form
  • Deposit payment (or evidence of payment)
  • Two passport sized photographs.


Your offer will allow you to either undertake the Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice (the LPC Stages 1 & 2) or the LLM in Legal Practice.  Please see the LPC page for more information about these options and help in choosing which is right for you.

The fee covers both options, there is no additional fee for the LLM.  

You need to indicate whether you wish to take the LPC or LLM on your acceptance form.  Home/EU students can change their mind about which route to take up until registration.  International students applying for a Tier 4 (Student) Visa must confirm which route they will be taking before their CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) is issued for their Visa.

Want more information before accepting your place?

You can arrange a tour of the Law School by contacting the LPC team at We can also answer any questions you might have over email if you would prefer.

Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) - Requirements

The SRA no longer require you to obtain Student Enrolment/Confirmation of Completion of the Academic Stage unless you have "character or suitability issues". For those students without issues you simply proceed to the LPC without contacting the SRA. If you have character/ suitability issues you should contact the SRA to discuss obtaining Student Enrolment as soon as possible (the SRA recommend contacting them 6 months before the course begins).

Please see SRA's website for further details.


If you are moving to London to study the LPC and need a place to live, City's Student Centre provides advice about City's Halls of Residence and privately rented accommodation. More information can be found by visiting

Training Contract Advice

If you don't yet have a Training Contract - our Training Contract Advisory Services (TCAS) may be able to help you. Once you have accepted a place on the course you can book an appointment by contacting the LPC Course Officer, Eugenia Xenofontos.

Student Visas

The latest City's guidance relating to student visas can be found at
Please read this information carefully as it sets out the steps you need to take to apply for a visa. Once you are in a position to apply, please email the Admissions Office ( for assistance.
Please note that if you are an overseas student relying on a Student Visa you must have a visa sponsored by City or evidence of having applied for one in order to register for the course.

Keep your contact details up to date

Before you start your LPC with us we will be contacting you throughout the summer to let you know about all the latest news from the School.

We will also be contacting you by post in late June, so please ensure that we have your correct contact details, especially if you're finishing university this summer.

Frequently asked questions:

How much is the deposit payment and is it refundable?

The deposit payment is £350 and it is non-refundable after 14 days unless you fail to meet the entry requirements.

When are my fees due and can I spread out the payments?

The first fee instalment must be paid before the start of the course and the second instalment is due on the last working day of January following the start of the course. It is possible to set up a payment plan for the second instalment but not for the first instalment.

Are there any scholarships available?

We have a generous range of full and part- fee scholarships available. Please refer to our scholarships page.

There is also a 10% discount for any student who has previously undertaken a course at City.

UK students who choose to take the LLM route will be eligible for the government’s Postgraduate Loan of up to £10,000. The Postgraduate Diploma (BPTC) alone is not eligible for this funding. Students who obtain such a loan will need to complete the full programme (they will not be able to switch to the PGDip route) or they may breach the terms of their loan agreement.

Who should I contact if I change my address before the course begins?

If you change your postal or email address before you start the course, please contact the Admissions Office at .

What do I need to do before I start the course?

Your pre-registration instructions will be posted to you in early July; these will provide you with full details of what you need to do next.
In summary you will need to:

  • Pay the first instalment of your course fees.
  • Send us a copy of your full LLB (Hons) or Graduate Diploma in Law transcript
  • If required, organise your Student Visa.

Where do I need to send this documentation and where should I sent it?

You should send your transcripts to:

The Admissions Office
4 Gray's Inn Place

Or email them to us.

International students should get these to us by the end of July. Home/ EU students should get these to us by the end of August.

Why do I have to send my transcript?

Before the course begins we must be certain you have obtained a qualifying law degree. To do this we need to see your transcript.

What should  I do if I have resits?

It is generally not a problem if you have resits as long as your LLB/ GDL is completed in full before the LPC begins (and you meet the other conditions of your offer). You cannot begin the LPC if you have results outstanding. The first thing to do is check with your university to see when your resit results are released. Once you've done this please get in touch with our Admissions Officer directly to discuss your options

When does the course start?

For the academic year 2017/18 registration for the course is provisionally scheduled for Monday 11th September 2017. This will be confirmed later in the year.

How will my timetable look?

The LPC is expected to be scheduled over 4 days, with Wednesdays being free from teaching. Please note you will be required to be here for five full days during the Foundation Stage of the course (the first two weeks).

We propose, subject to demand, to offer students either morning or afternoon sessions for Stage One of the LPC (you will choose either mornings or afternoons). The LPC Course Officer will contact you in mid-August to ask you to pick either morning or afternoon sessions.

You should be aware that your timetable will change for Stage 2 (the Electives); teaching will continue to be over 4 days (although there will be some reassessments on Wednesdays and possibly some teaching in weeks containing Bank Holidays but it will no longer be possible to select morning or afternoon teaching.

What do I do if I can't take up my place?

You should contact us as soon as possible. It may be possible to defer your place.

How do I get a student visa?

Once your offer is unconditional (i.e. you have fulfilled the conditions set out in your offer letter) the School should be able to sponsor your visa application. To arrange this, please contact the Admissions Team.

You will be sent guidance about the process of applying for a Student Visa in due course. In advance of making your application please familiarise yourself with the process by reading our guidance available at or contact one of the University's International Student Advisors at