1. Undergraduate
  2. Postgraduate Law
  3. Professional
  4. Continuing Professional Development
  5. LLB in Legal Practice (Online)
  6. Applicant Information
  7. Online chat sessions
  1. BPTC



Thank you for applying to the Bar Professional Training Course (BPTC) at The City Law School. Our applicant page will tell you all the information you need to know about our BPTC enrolment process. We'll keep you updated with all latest news from the School, key dates and deadlines; and what happens next with your application.

As the original provider of Bar training, our BPTC has been designed to give you the skills and knowledge you need be successful in your professional life. By taking your BPTC with The City Law School you will gain exclusive access, from the moment you accept your place, to our expert Pupillage Advisory Service to enable you to take your first steps towards a career at the Bar. We are proud of our reputation, our links with the profession, and most of all our students.

Key dates

  • Acceptance Deadline
    4 April 2017
  • Deadline for applying for Inn membership
    Usually the  last day in May; please check with your chosen Inn to be sure.
  • The City Law School Scholarship Application Deadline
    First Round: 20 March 2017, Second round 12 June 2017.
  • Results transcripts and evidence of Inn membership/BCAT results to be submitted
    Home/ EU students: 28 August 2017, International students: 4 August 2017.
  • Part-time BPTC Registration:
    Registration will take place on 14 September  2017 with teaching beginning the same evening.
  • Full-time BPTC Registration
    Registration will take place  on 15 September 2017 with teaching beginning on 18 September 2017.

Bar Course Aptitude Test (BCAT)

Student starting the BPTC in September 2017 will be required to pass the BCAT as a condition of their BPTC offer. This means your offer will not be considered to be unconditional until you have passed the test and it will not be possible to register for the course without having passed the test.

For more information about the test please visit the Bar Standards Board website. To book to take the test please to go to the Pearson Vue website.

Provisional BPTC Term Dates

Teaching on the BPTC is provisionally scheduled to begin on 18 September 2017 for full-time students. Part-time students will begin teaching on 14 September 2017. The full term dates have yet to be finalised but the core course is expected to run until the last week of May. Term 1 will run from September to Christmas and will include a Reading Week. Term 2 will commence on 2 January (and there will be an assessment in the first week of January). Assessments take place at intervals from January to May, there will also be a number of revision periods during this time to enable you to prepare for these assessments.

If you choose to take the LLM you will be expected to write your dissertation over the Summer submitting it in September.

BPTC Part-time

Classes will be held on Tuesday and Thursday evenings (generally from 6PM until 9PM). The term dates for the part-time course are broadly in line with those for the full-time course.

Part-time students taking the LLM will submit the dissertation in the December following the second year of the course.

Accept your place

To accept your place with us you need to accept the offer online via BARSAS and return to us:

  • your acceptance form
  • deposit payment (or evidence of payment)
  • two passport sized photographs.

In exceptional circumstances we can give extensions to accept your place. If you need an extension please contact the Admissions Officer.

If you'd like to find out more about the School and have a look around our campus (if you can't attend one of our Open Days, you can arrange an individual visit to the School by contacting our Admissions Officer, Sean Carrigan, contact details below).


Your offer will allow you to either undertake the Postgraduate Diploma in Bar Professional Training (the BPTC) or the LLM in Bar Professional Training.  Please see the BPTC page for more information about these options and help in choosing which is right for you.

The fee covers both options, there is no additional fee for the LLM.

You need to indicate whether you wish to take the BPTC or LLM on your acceptance form.  Home/EU students can change their mind about which route to take up until registration.  International students applying for a Tier 4 (Student) Visa must confirm which route they will be taking before their CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) is issued for their Visa.

Scholarships & Funding

We have a generous range of full and part (£5000) fee scholarships available. Visit our Scholarships page to find out more and apply.

We also offer a guaranteed minimum scholarship of £1,500 in the form of a fee waiver, for students who hold a first class degree.

There is also a 10% discount for any student who has previously undertaken a course at City.

UK students who choose to take the LLM route will be eligible for the government’s Postgraduate Loan of up to £10,000. The Postgraduate Diploma (BPTC) alone is not eligible for this funding. Students who obtain such a loan will need to complete the full programme (they will not be able to switch to the PGDip route) or they may breach the terms of their loan agreement.

Pupillage Advisory Service

Once you have accepted your place with us you can immediately start to use our Pupillage Advisory Service. Read more about how you can benefit from the Pupillage Advisory Service.

Pro Bono

The City Law School Pro Bono Unit offers a range of activities including an in-house Advice Clinic, placement clinics, a partnership programme and a Streetlaw programme. It is a fantastic opportunity for students to participate in real, supervised case work and legal clinical education alongside their education. Read more about our Pro Bono programme.


If you are moving to London to study the BPTC and need a place to live, City's Student Centre provides advice about finding accommodation. City has three dedicated postgraduate Halls of Residence, for more information about these and other ways of finding accommodation please see our accommodation pages.

Student Visas

If you are an international student and you need a visa for the course, please see for advice and information about the process.

Keep your contact details up to date

We will be contacting you by email and post throughout the summer before you start the BPTC to let you know about all the latest news from the School and inform you about the registration process. We will also be posting pre-registration information packs in July, so please ensure you advise us of any change of postal or email address.

How much is the deposit payment and is it refundable?

The deposit payment is £400 and it is non-refundable after 14 days unless you fail to meet the entry requirements.

When are my fees due and can I spread the payments out?

The first fee instalment is due before registration in September 2017 and the second installment is due on the last working day of January 2018. Part-time fees are charged on a pro-rata basis.

Who should I contact if I change my address before the course begins?

If you move before September please email our Admissions Team with your new contact details. This applies to a change of email address as well.

What do I need to do before I start the course?

We will post out pre-registration instructions in July; these will provide full details of what you need to do. You will need to:

1. Join one of the Inns of Court by the end of May 2017.

2. Send us a copy of your full LLB or GDL transcript and evidence of your Inns membership (please see dates above)

3. Pass the BCAT

4. Pay the first instalment of your course fees before registration

5. If required, organise your Student Visa.

Where do I send my transcripts and when should I send them?

Your transcripts should be sent to:
The Admissions Office
4 Gray's Inn Place
LondonWC1R 5DX
Please see the relevant dates above.

Why do I have to send my transcript?

Before the course begins we must be certain you have obtained a qualifying law degree. To do this we need to see your transcript.

What should I do if I have resits?

It's generally not a problem if you have resits as long as your LLB/ GDL is completed in full before the BPTC begins (and you meet the other conditions of your offer). You cannot begin the BPTC if you have results outstanding. The first thing to do is check with your university to see when your resit results are released. Once you've done this please get in touch with our Admissions Officer directly to discuss your options.

Does the School need to see evidence of Inn Membership?

Ideally we would like to see a scan or photocopy of your membership card/ letter of confirmation. If this isn't possible we will accept an email confirming the name of your Inn and your membership number as confirmation.

How do I get a Student Visa?

Once your offer is unconditional (i.e. you have fulfilled the conditions set out in your offer letter, by providing us with copies of your transcript, proof of your Inn membership, and, if applicable, IELTS certificate) and passing the BCAT, the School should be able to sponsor your visa application. To arrange this, please contact the Admissions Team.

You will be sent guidance about the process of applying for a Student Visa in due course. In advance of making your application please familiarise yourself with the process by reading our guidance available at or contact one of the University's International Student Advisors at

Can I switch between the full and part time courses?

It is possible to change to our part-time course from the full-time course if places are available. Please note, the part-time course is a smaller course than the full-time course so places are limited. We would advise you to make this decision as early as possible as the chance of swapping is limited by the number of places available. You should also be aware that part time study does not qualify for a Tier 4 Student Visa so international students are only able to take this option if they have some other permission to reside in the UK.

When does the course begin?

The part-time course is provisionally expectedis scheduled to register to register during the week commencingon 14 September 2017 with teaching beginning that evening. and  The full-time course is scheduled to register on Friday 15 September 2017 with teaching beginning Monday 18 September 2017.

How will my timetable look?

On the full-time course you should expect to have 3 days of teaching per week (on the full time course). You will have one guaranteed clear day (the Preparation Day), and generally another clear day each week.

You should expect to have around 14-16 hours of teaching over the 3 days you are required to attend. You may request a particular Preparation Day for reasons such as commuting, religious observance, childcare etc.

It is also possible to make other requests regarding your timetable, for instance fewer early starts or as few late finishes as possible. We cannot always guarantee that we will be able to accommodate these requests but we will endeavour to do so.

If you wish to request a Preparation Day or have any other timetabling request, please email the Admissions Officer.

The part-time course runs on two evenings a week from 6pm – 6pm. For those starting the course in September 2017 teaching will take place on Tuesday and Thursday evenings.

What do I do if I can't take up my place?

You should contact the Admissions Team to inform the School of this. It may be possible to defer your place to 2018/19.