You may be required to register with the police within 7 days of arrival in the UK. This requirement will be written on your UK visa.
Check if you need to register with the Police
Nationals from certain countries may be required to register with the Police within 7 days of arrival in the UK.
You’ll be told if you need to register with the police on one of the following documents:
- your entry visa vignette (if you’re travelling to the UK)
- your biometric residence permit (BRP)
- the Home Office letter that approved your application for leave
It is important that you read any letters from the UK Visa and Immigration Service carefully to see if you need to register. If it is written in the letter it is a legal requirement of your visa.
If you are required to register with the Police, you will need to obtain a Police Registration Certificate (PRC) at the Overseas Visitors Records Office (OVRO).
Registering with the Police through City, University of London - Autumn semester ONLY
The Metropolitan Police have set up a system which allows the University to help students to register with the Police. Students who use this system will NOT have to go to the Overseas Visitors Records Office themselves within seven days. The University will start the process for you and then you will be able to complete your Police Registration in person at a later date, specified by OVRO. This option will be available from 18th September 2017. If you are required to register before this date you must do this yourself (see below). This option is only available to students enrolling in September. All other students will need to go straight to Borough in person in order to register.
If you would like the University to help you to register with the Police, you must hand in below documents to the Student Centre in Northampton Square before the deadline before 4pm on Wednesday 18th October.
- Complete the 'Police Registration Proforma' online (not with an Apple Mac), and then print out a copy. Please use below information to help you complete the online Proforma:
- Previous non-UK Address: address at your home country
- Place of Arrival: name of the airport you arrived at (e.g. London Heathrow)
- Full name and Address of University: City University London, 10 Northampton Square, London EC1V 0HB
- UK Residential Address: your current address in London
- Signature: please make sure your signature is signed within the box
- One UK passport sized photo (45mm x 35mm);
- Copy of your entry clearance visa and the Home Office decision letter (if you do not have a BRP visa card);
- Copy of your BRP visa card (both sides);
- Police Registration Certificate (if already have one).
Once you have handed in above documents to the Student Centre, we will provide you with a confirmation letter acknowledging receipt of your registration proforma. A representative from the University will send the forms directly to the OVRO. You will then have to visit the OVRO to complete your registration in person on at an allocated appointment time stated on the confirmation letter. When you visit the OVRO, you must bring the following documents:
- Confirmation letter from the OVRO
- Original passport
- Original BRP visa card
- £34 to be paid in cash or by credit/debit cards (American Express is not accepted), or no charge if you already have a PRC
Address: Southwark Police Station, 323 Borough High Street, London, SE1 1JL
Nearest tube station: Borough (on the Northern Line).
If you fail to complete your Police Registration you are in breach of your visa conditions and the University will not be able to let you continue with your course, and you will be fined £5,000 and jailed for 6 months.
If you will not be registering through City, University of London:
Please go to the Overseas Visitors Records Office (OVRO) (Southwark Police Station, 323 Borough High Street, London, SE1 1JL.) Nearest tube station: Borough (on the Northern Line). Opening hours: 9am - 4pm Monday to Wednesday and Friday (except Public and Bank Holidays).
You will need to take the following documents:
You should keep your Police Registration Certificate in a safe place at home - you do not need to carry it with you every day. However, you should remember to take it if you travel outside the UK as you may be asked to show it at Immigration controls.
If your circumstances change whilst you are here in the UK, you will need to tell the Police and update your Police Registration Certificate within 7 days. There is no charge for this. If you fail to do this it is a breach of your immigration conditions and you could face a fine or prison sentence.
For all changes to circumstances, you need to go to the OVRO in Borough. If you are out of the UK for more than 12 months, your PRC is no longer valid and you will need to pay for a new one.
The following changes which should be recorded include:
- Visa extension
- Change of course
- Change of address
- Change of name
- Getting a new passport
- Getting married or divorced
Change of address can be done at your local police station
If you are living in London and only need to change your address, then you can update this information at a local police station. The nearest police station from main campus is Islington Police Station, 2 Tolpuddle Street, London N1 0YY.