Admission Price: Free to attend; please reserve a place
Series: City Summer Sounds 2019
Four outstanding pianists, variously established as concert soloists with international careers, as award-winning creative musicians, and as rising stars, all of whom have passed through City's undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral programmes.
Each will perform a set reflecting their own specialisms and expertise, covering jazz and improvisation, new collaborations, unearthing new repertoire, interpreting the most challenging works from the contemporary repertoire and the piano literature, and commissioning new works.
The diversity of City's music alumni will be representing in microcosm at this special evening, performed on City's fine Steinway pianos.
Dr Clare Hammond
- Rhian Samuel, A Garland for Anne (2003)
- Felix Mendelssohn, The Bee’s Wedding, Op. 67 No. 4
- Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov (arr. Rachmaninov), Flight of the Bumblebee (1899–1900/1931)
- Ewan Campbell, Flight of the Killer Bee (2013)
Dr Ikuko Inoguchi:
- Karen Tanaka, Who Stole the Tarts? (2016)
- Karen Tanaka, Water Dance I. Very lightly with flow (2011)
- Karen Tanaka, Crystalline II (1995)
- Solo set
- John Adams, Phrygian Gates (1977-1978)
This is a City 125th Anniversary Concert. 2019 marks City's 125th anniversary. Find out more about the people and events that have shaped the University we know today on the City 125th Anniversary website
This concert is also part of a City Music Alumni networking and concert event which includes some optional workshops for past City Music students. If you are interested in attending this alumni event you will need to register on the event page
Share this event
City Alumni Pianists - 24 May 2019