Admission Price: Free to attend; please reserve a place, since capacity is limited
Zubin Kanga returns to City with new works for piano and multimedia, encompassing everything from extrovert explorations of cinema to starkly coloured drones.
- Christopher Fox, Five Characters in Search of a Form
- Scott McLaughlin, In the unknown there is already a script for transcendence
- Jon Rose, Ballast (world premiere)
- Zubin Kanga, new work (world premiere)
- Nicole Lizée, Scorsese Etudes (world premiere of expanded version)
Christopher Fox’s new work pits the pianist against a doppelganger from the far past, exploring and distorting the pianistic canon. Scott McLaughlin uses supercharged e-bows and magnetic resonators to explore ever-shifting drone harmonics. Kanga's own new work melds analogue synths and a plethora of sounds from the interior of the instrument. Jon Rose draws on his own experience as an improviser with violin and motion sensors in Ballast, a wild exploration of pianistic hyper-virtuosity, expanded using progressively multiplying virtual pianos controlled by a 3D hand sensor. Finally, Nicole Lizée expands her critically acclaimed Scorsese Etudes, an ingenious collage of film clips and live piano, with the addition of further footage by the great American auteur from Taxi Driver, and Goodfellas to Wolf of Wall Street.