Admission Price: Free to attend but places must be booked in advance
Join us for this Panel Discussion where the panellists from the Global Conference for Media Freedom will discuss the problems of reporting in Myanmar.
When Aung San Suu Kyi and her party swept to power in 2015, most observers expected media freedom in Myanmar to flourish. But the country has instead become notorious for imprisoning journalists without fair trial – most notably two Reuters journalists arrested for their reporting of a military atrocity against Rohingya civilians. This panel brings together Myanmar journalists who have first-hand experience of the problem, to ask what went wrong, and how it can be fixed.
- Sonny Swe, Founder and CEO of Myanmar Frontier
- Thinzar Shunlei Yi, Political Activist, TV Host & Youth Advocate
- Ei Shwe Zin (Pen Name: Nyein Nyein), Journalist at The Irrawaddy Online News
- Si Thu Aung (Pen Name: Maung Saung Kha), Executive Director of ATHAN (Activist organisation promoting freedom of expression in Myanmar)
- Yuen Chan, Senior Lecturer in Journalism, City, University of London