“From Gollum to Ah-Ha!” – Developing Better Networking Skills with Sue Tonks
Does the phrase “with the opportunity for networking” fill you with fear?
Do you feel like you should go and speak to someone but not sure how to break the ice?
Have you seen colleagues “work the room” and wonder how they do it?
This fun, informal skill-building session will provide with the knowledge and tricks to become a better networker.
The workshop would cover:
- What is networking? The fears and issues – unveiled
- Importance of networking
- Avoiding the “SILO” – cross networking across the University and between Universities
- The networking process – practical skills
- Creating immediate and lasting rapport and relationships through meaningful conversations
- How the room “works”, group dynamics, joining, leaving, hosting etc – practical session
- Preparation and planning for events
- Breaking the ice and developing rapport; avoiding the “Gollum Moment”.
- Dealing effectively with the question “What do you do?”
- Asking effective business questions
- Spotting Opportunities to move ideas and activities forward
- Spotting the “Ah-Ha! Moment” and professionally making the link to the next stage.
Sue Tonks is Leadership and Management Trainer with extensive experience and regularly runs networking skills sessions in Higher Education sector.
Welcome tea and coffee will be provided.
Date: Tuesday 6th October
Morning Session @ Bunhill Row
Location: Room 2003
Afternoon Session @ Northampton Square
Location: Convocation Suite
Staff can attend either session regardless of school / professional unit affiliation.
Academic and professional staff at all levels are welcome.
Share this event
When & where
9.00am - 4.00pmTuesday 6th October 2015