Current students
  1. Student Support Statement
  2. Academic
  3. Administration
  4. Health, wellbeing, faith & sport
  5. IT Support
  6. Careers & work experience
  7. Accommodation
  8. Policy & regulation
  9. Online store
  10. A-Z of services
  11. Strike FAQs
  1. Health Service
  2. International students
    1. Immunisations
    2. Prescriptions
Current students

International students

Before you leave home

  • If you have a significant health problem and/or require regular medication it would be helpful if you bring a letter from your doctor back home explaining your diagnosis and treatment.
  • Some medications may not be available in the UK or difficult to get at short notice, so ensure you bring adequate supplies for at least a month of treatment.
  • Try to have the necessary immunisations for the UK.
  • Anyone who comes to the United Kingdom (UK) to pursue a full-time course of study at least six months long, or a course of study that is of any duration but is substantially funded by the UK Government, or is a European Union (EU) student will be fully entitled to free NHS hospital treatment in England. Check if you are entitled to use the NHS. If you do not fall into this category, make sure you have health insurance before you leave home. Please see the following link for guidance:

What to do when you arrive in the UK

This information is primarily about the UK state healthcare system called the National Health Service (NHS).

Register with a NHS Doctor (GP) as soon as possible by visiting their surgery (office). This is the way to access all NHS care.

The links below detail how to find a doctor and how to use the NHS: