Crisis or emergency
Help for students with mental health concerns in a crisis or emergency
The Student Counselling & Mental Health Service is open Monday to Friday 9:00-17:00 (9am-5pm). If you feel you need to speak to a member of our team urgently please call 020 7040 8094. Where possible we will try to offer you a same day discussion with a member of our service. If the service is closed and you feel so distressed that you think you might need immediate, urgent medical or psychological help you should contact any of the following:
Your doctor (GP)
Your GP can provide urgent medical/psychiatric attention or referral and has overall responsibility for your physical and mental healthcare.
Hospitals (Accident & Emergency departments)
In an emergency you can go to the Accident & Emergency department of your nearest hospital, which is open 24 hours every day.
The following are all within 15 minutes by taxi from City:
- The Whittington Hospital, Archway, N19
- University College Hospital, Gower Street, WC1
- The London Hospital, Whitechapel, EC1
- The Maudsley Hospital in Denmark Hill, London SE5 provides a 24hour emergency psychiatric service. (They will not deal with drug or alcohol-related problems).
- SANE Mental Health Helpline: 0845 767 8000. SANE runs a national, out-of-hours mental health helpline offering specialist emotional support and information to anyone affected by mental illness, including family, friends and carers. Open every day of the year from 18:00 to 23:00 (6pm-11pm).
- Samaritans: 0845 790 9090. Provides confidential, emotional support to anyone in crisis, 24 hours a day
- Nightline: 020 7631 0101. 18:00-8:00 (6pm-8am). (Term-time only) Listening service run by students.
- Drinkline (national alcohol helpline): 0800 9178282
- Eating Disorders Helpline: 01603 621 414
- London Lesbian and Gay Switchboard: 0300 330 0630
- National Aids Helpline: 0800 567 123
- National Drugs Helpline: 0800 7776 600
- Victim Support line: 0845 3030 900
- Rape/sexual abuse support centre: 020 8683 3300