How to Apply
Applications will open on 23rd February 2018, with a deadline by 5pm on Friday 15th June 2018.
Interviews will take place on 10th, 11th and 12th July 2018, unless otherwise stated. Successful candidates will be notified by 20th July 2018.
To apply, please email:
- 2,000 words of your own fiction (short story or novel extract)
- Copy of CV
to the Course Director Emily Pedder
City Novel Studio Competition
In a rare opportunity to bypass the slush pile, all applications to the Novel Studio will automatically be considered for our City Novel Studio Competition. The best three applications will be passed on to Christine Green, literary agent at Christine Green Authors' Agency, with a view to representation.
The competition is open to unpublished novelists writing in any fictional genre for adults, including literary fiction, women's fiction, science fiction, young adult fiction, chick-lit, fantasy, crime fiction, thriller, historical fiction, but not non-fiction or fiction for children.
Important Information Regarding the Competition
- The applications will be assessed by the Course Director and one of the Novel Studio tutors. Their decision is final and no individual correspondence can be entered into. The selection team are not able to comment on individual entries.
- There is no obligation on the agent's part to take any of the applications further than the initial read through: anything more is entirely at the agent's discretion.
- City University London reserves the right to change the selection team at short notice, and to cancel the competition should the need arise.
- Your submission can be in any fictional genre, but must be original fiction for adult or young adult readers. Non-fiction and fiction for children under 13 is not eligible.
- You may submit up to 2000 words. There is no need to submit a synopsis.
- Please submit your work typed, double-spaced on A4-sized paper, single sided, with pages numbered and the title of your piece on every page.
- No alterations may be made to a piece once it has been submitted.
- You may only submit one entry per person.
- Your entry must be original, in English, unpublished, and not accepted by any publisher in any territory, or under consideration by another agent, at the time of submission.
- Employees of City, University of London are not eligible.
How to Enter
- Your application to the Novel Studio will automatically ensure entry to the competition. Please note this competition is ONLY open to applicants for the Novel Studio.
- All applications to the Novel Studio should be sent by email to Emily Pedder by 5pm on Friday 15th June 2018. Any applications received after that date and time will not be eligible
- 23rd February 2018: Novel Studio applications open.
- 15th June 2018: Deadline for applications and competition.
- 10th, 11th, 12th July 2018: Novel Studio Interviews.
- 20th July 2018: Novel Studio accepted students informed.
- 2nd October 2018: Competition winners announced
*Please note all dates are subject to change at short notice.