Mobile Journalism Short Courses
|Start Date||Start Time||Duration||Cost||Course Code||Apply|
|Saturday 17 March 2018||09:30||09:30 - 16:30||£120.00||CS1770||Apply Now|
Smartphones have become a key tool for capturing journalistic content, but how do you ensure high-quality footage that will stand out from the crowd?
Smartphone journalism and reporting has increased due to the rapid rate of technology advancement. You can now report live, on-location using a smartphone. This course is ideal for anyone looking to develop their reporting or journalism skills using an iPhone or Android smartphone.
This one-day Mobile Journalism Masterclass will teach you how to record audio and how to shoot video using your iPhone or Android smartphone, including:
- Using a mobile phone to shoot video interviews and use a microphone to get the best sound
- Framing the subject correctly using well established cinematography techniques
- Using natural lighting as a key light to model and illuminate the subject
- Recording audio and taking photographs to produce audio slideshows
- Editing clips and creating a video news story
- Optimising the use of social media sites to launch video news stories.
The course is relevant to both industry professionals and those with no background in journalism.
Why choose the Mobile Journalism short course?
City is regarded as one of the best universities in the United Kingdom for the study of journalism, described as the “Oxbridge of journalism” by leading industry professionals. Due to our excellent links within the sector, City is able to offer exceptional courses at low cost.
Expert, Bill Shepherd, works as Production Editor at The Guardian and The Observer newspapers and is a member of the Guild of Television Cameramen.
Students should have an interest in journalism and the use of mobile phone applications. No background knowledge is required.
Applicants should have a fluent understanding of English.
What will I learn?
This one day smartphone and mobile reporting course provides the vital skills to use mobile journalism content to its full potential. Throughout the course you will learn:
- How to shoot a formal and an informal style, handheld interview
- How to edit video and pictures; add stings and logos using the iMovie, Gravie, Video Freeze and Video Grade apps
- Lesson and project: Shoot an informal interview whilst the subject is performing a task or shoot an observational driven piece whilst the subject is moving
- How to edit the video and pictures. Create a short video and a slideshow using the iMovie app. Edit the video and pictures using Video Freeze, Video Grade and Snapseed apps. Add stings and logos using the Gravie app.
- How to upload the finished video story and picture story using YouTube.
The course will make use of iPhone mobile devices during teaching and provide practical skills and knowledge in mobile journalism.
Teaching and Assessment
The course will be taught using a mix of presentations, demonstrations, role play, group discussions and feedback.
Related reading materials and further information will be advised by the Course Tutor.
Students may be interested in