How To Market Yourself As An Author Short Courses
It seems writing is only half of what it takes to be a modern author. How do you create a platform and strategy for your writing that builds interest and readers? How To Market Yourself As An Author short course can help you find out.
Aimed at those who would like to have their work published and earn a living from writing, The Authorpreneur evening course looks at the reality of the modern publishing world and what is required of you as an author aside from the writing.
You will develop a personal business strategy and plan how to implement it by:
- Establishing and understanding the genre of your writing;
- Examining the various routes to market, traditional and independent;
- Looking at how to establish a platform, in the real world and online, from which to market yourself to readers, agents and publishers.
This course helps you develop the skills that every modern author needs.
Why choose the How to Market Yourself as an Author short course?
How To Market Yourself As An Author short course offers maximum flexibility and academic excellence combined with practical skill transfer.
The programme is delivered over 10 weekly evenings from our Central London campus, meaning you can continue to work whilst developing your authorpreneurial knowledge.
|Start Date||Start Time||Duration||Cost||Course Code||Apply|
|Tuesday 16 January 2018||18:30 - 20:30||10 weekly classes||£270.00||CS1228||Apply Now|
|Tuesday 1 May 2018||18:30 - 20:30||10 weekly classes||£270.00||CS1228||Apply Now|
Heather O’Connell has more than twenty-five years' experience in book publishing. After many years, and holding senior positions at both Harper Collins and Penguin, she now runs a consultancy working with self-publishers and traditional publishers alike. She also runs training courses for publishers and teaches a module on the UCL Publishing MA.
Good written and spoken English.
What will I learn?
- How to identify the different writing genres and which one is right for you.
- How to think like an agent/publisher.
- Everything you need to know about the realities of self, independent and traditional publishing.
- The options for supporting your writing.
- How to make your website reflect you and send the message you want.
- What the different social media platforms do and how to build a following.
What will I do on The Authorpreneur short course?
You will identify which genre your writing belongs to.
You will identify the elements required on your author website and decide on the appropriate tone and audience for your social media presence.
Identify which route to market you’d like to concentrate on and write a business plan based on this decision.
Decide on your next steps as a writer.
Teaching and Assessment
Students are assessed on their contribution in class and their business plan.
Chris McCrudden Digital and Social Media for Authors
Nicholas Lovell The Curve
Chris McVeigh Seven Things Publishers Should Know