1. Undergraduate
  2. Postgraduate
  3. Research Degrees
  4. CPD
  5. Short Courses
  1. 2018

FAQ test Short Courses

Choose a start date

Dates and fees to be confirmed

Key information

Course code:

Course overview

Q. Who can enrol on a Short Course?

A. Anybody can enrol for the part-time Short Courses at City, University of London - these are open access courses.


- You need to be at least 18 years old.

- If you are a non-EEA national you will need a visa that permits study.

Please note that the University does not issue visa support letters for Short Courses. See also the International section below.

Q. Are the courses qualifications?

No, the courses are not qualifications or diplomas, as they are not accredited. Short Couses were conceived as top-up education for working people, and are often used to upskill or change career.

Q. What does '10 weekly classes' mean?

A. Weekly means once a week, thus '10 weekly classes' means one lesson per week for 10 consecutive weeks.

Classes are held on the same day each week as the starting weekday. If there is more than one instance of the course running that term, you attend on the day you sign up for.

Q. Where are the courses held?

A. All the classes take place at the Northampton Square campus of City, University of London.


Q. What qualifications do I need?

Short Courses require no formal qualifications / degrees / documentation etc. However, we ask that you carefully read the Eligibility Guidelines on each course's page to determine whether it is suitable for you.

Q. Is there a minimum age requirement for studying on a Short Course?

A. Anyone who is 18 and over can enrol for our courses. There is no upper age limit.

Q. I am not a native speaker of English. Do I need an IELTS certificate?

A. No, there is no formal proof required of an applicant's proficiency of English, but, as the Short Courses are University level courses, the guideline is that you should at least have English equivalent to IELTS 6.5.


Q. How do I enrol on a Short Course?

A. To enrol you simply pay online on our website with a credit or debit card. Click on the Book Now button next to your chosen course and you will be taken to a secure online booking system. After completing registration and making payment, you will get an automatic receipt from the Estore, followed by an enrolment confirmation email closer to the start date.

Please note that a place is not reserved by putting the course in the shopping basket - payment must be made in order to secure the place.

(N.B. UK companies may pay by invoice - please contact us. Non-UK companies, or individuals, may not pay by invoice.)

Q. What's the deadline for enrolment to a Short Course?

A. Enrolment is possible while there are places free, and until just before the second class of a 10 week course. It's advisable to enrol as soon as you can, because courses often fill up long before the start date. In addition, for most courses you need to activate your computer access in advance of the course start.

You can check the number of places left on a course by clicking on the 'Book now' button after choosing the start date from the drop-down menu.

Q. Is it possible to pay the course fee in instalments?

A. No, it's not possible to pay in instalments. The course fee has to be paid in full in order to enrol.

Q. Can I take more than one Short Course at the same time?

A. Yes, you can enrol on more than one Short Course in the same term, provided the days on which they run do not clash. Check the start days of each course which you are interested in on the course pages.

Q. Why is a course showing TBC - when will it start?

A. TBC = To Be Confirmed.

This means we do not know if the course will run in the coming term/year- please keep checking the website.


Q. How many students will be in a class?

A. It depends on the type of course; generally around 20, but on some courses the available equipment limits the class size (for example, 16 for computing courses or fewer for some writing or language courses).

Q. I will have to miss one or two lessons, is this a problem?

A. Many people miss a lesson here and there - students will need catch up in their own time. We need 70% attendance in order to award the certificate.

Q. Is there any homework outside class?

A. Your tutor might set exercises to be completed at home. Although the courses aren't accredited we recommend that students spend between 2-6 hours per class per week, or as needed in order to be comfortable with the material.

Q. Do I need to bring a laptop for my computing class?

A. Please refer to the course page - it will say whether a laptop is necessary. Most computing courses are taught using the University's PCs, but there are a few  exceptions (e.g. Linux, Cyber Security).

Assessment and Certificates

Q. Is there an exam, or other formal assessment?

A. No - as the Short Courses are not accredited, there is no exam or formal assessment. However, some courses will have work to complete between sessions and tutors may offer feedback. Some courses conclude with a presentation of some sort. Please refer to specific course information.

Q. Do I get a certificate at the end of the course?

A. Students who attend at least 70% of the classes will receive a certificate with City's logo, stating that they undertook a particular course at City, University of London.

Q. What's the difference between a CPD course and a Short Course?

A. CPD (Continuing Professional Development) is regarded as a more structured approach to learning and the means by which people maintain their knowledge and skills related to their professional lives. Some CPD courses may require certain professional experience.

Short Courses can be taken by people who are new to a subject, or want to refresh their knowledge of it, but in some areas they may also progress to more advanced levels. Anyone can take the beginner or intro level Short Courses. For higher levels, please check the Eligibility Guidelines on the course page (and 'What Will I Learn' tab on any pre-requisite course cited) as certain knowledge will be assumed.

Discounts and Refunds

Q. Is there a discount if I am a current student / alumnus / unemployed / book more than one course?

A. No, there are no discounts on the Short Courses. The courses are priced very competitively for the London market.

Q. What happens if I register for a course, but there are not enough people enrolled on it?

A. City, University of London reserves the right to cancel a course, if, for example, there are insufficient numbers. If this occurs, we will refund your course fee in full.

Q. Can I cancel my enrolment and get a refund?

A. Refunds will be given, minus a £25.00 administration charge, if written notification is received at least 14 days before the start of term.

No refunds will be given with less than 14 days' written notice.

Please read our full Terms and Conditions. Section IV also applies to Short Courses.


Q. Will I get a Student Card?

A. No. On the first evening of your course you will receive a Short Courses Student Access Card from your tutor and you must carry your card with you at all times whilst on City, University of London premises. Please note that this is NOT a student ID card, nor an access swipe card, and is only valid at City.

Q. Will I have access to the university library?

A. As a student on the Short Courses you will have access to the library for the duration of your course. You will need to present your short course card, which will be given to you by your tutor in the first lesson, and your enrolment confirmation email.+

Q. Is there any help available finding a job or internship when I finish a Short Course at City University London?

A. As a student on the Short Courses you would be entitled to get advice on how to enhance your employability from our Careers, Student Development & Outreach centre.

International applicants

Q. I'm an international student - can I enrol for Short Courses? If yes, what are the fees?

A. The part-time Short Courses at City, University of London are open access courses: anybody can enrol for them, whether home or international residents. The course fees are the same for everybody.

Q. Do I need to apply for a visa to come to study on the Short Courses?

A1. If you are a European Economic Area (EEA) national, you do not need to apply for a visa to study in the UK.

A2. If you are a non-EEA national, you will need a visa that permits study in order to attend.

Please note that the University does not issue visa support letters for Short Courses.

Q. Do I need to have an IELTS certificate to prove my level of English?

A. No. There is no formal proof required of the applicant's proficiency of English, but, as the courses are of University level, the guideline is that you should have a level equivalent to at least IELTS 6.5. The entry requirements for the Short Courses state that applicants should be proficient in written and spoken English.

Q. Do you provide accommodation if I enrol on one of the Short Courses?

A. No, we do not arrange accommodation for our Short Course students - applicants will have to organise that themselves. Read more about private housing in London.

Q. Is there any financial help available for international students?

A. There is no funding available to international students for Short Courses.

Short course.

Small commitment.

Big Reward.

Book Now

Short course.

Small commitment.

Big Reward.

Book Now