Essential PL/SQL and Database Administration for Oracle Database Short Courses
Dates and Fees to be confirmed
This is an introductory course to PL/SQL and administration tasks for Oracle databases aimed at students who have used Oracle (or any other Relational Database Management Systems) for simple tasks (join queries, updates and creating tables) and want to advance their knowledge. It assumes a basic knowledge and familiarity with the Oracle and SQL environment but no further knowledge of programming.
George K. Lekeas is a visiting lecturer with the Department of Computing in the School of Informatics and research collaborator with the University of Athens. He holds a PhD in Computing and conducts research in the area of Multi-Agent Systems and Web Services. He taught extensively at all levels courses in software development methods, programming and software engineering in general (C#, C, C++, Unix, Systems Administration, PHP, Perl, Java, Oracle, MySQL, XML, CMS) and other computing areas. He also works as a freelance Unix and Web Scripting Languages consultant.
What will I learn?
- PL/SQL language statements: syntax elements, control statements, loops;
- PL/SQL exception handling, records, collections, procedures, functions, packages, cursors, transactions;
- Basic administrative tasks (configuration, startup/shutdown the database, user management, privileges, backups, data dictionary, etc.).
By the end of the course you will be able to:
- Define and work with cursors;
- Define and use triggers;
- Write PL/SQL programs;
- Write PL/SQL functions and procedures;
- Handling exceptions;
- Using transactions;
- Perform basic administration tasks on an Oracle database (creating a database, starting up/shutdown the server, database configuration, user privileges, adding/deleting tablespaces, getting tablespace data, etc.)
Teaching and Assessment
In-class exercises and a bigger home assignment.
- Oracle PL/SQL Programming by Steven Feuerstein and Bill Pribyl
- Introduction to PL/SQL by Farhan Ali Arain
- Beginning Oracle Database 11g Administration: From Novice to Professional (Expert's Voice in Oracle) by Iggy Fernandez
- Easy Oracle Jumpstart: Oracle Database Management Concepts & Administration by Robert G. Freeman and Steve Karam