Santander internship funding (for SMEs)
As a partner of Santander Universities, City can provide small and medium-sized enterprises with funding and recruitment support for internships and temporary roles.
City is part of the Santander Universities network and therefore eligible to participate in the internship programme which aims to create around 2,000 internships for university students and graduates.
Santander Universities support towards employability and in 2012 they launched the SME Internship Programme by our Group Chairman, Ana Botin, to date the programme has supported over 10,000 internships, many of which lead to further employment. They have an aspiration that by 2020, 80% of students receiving our internships will be from a widening participation background with 75% gaining further employment with the SME they have their internship with.
The Santander Universities SME Internship Programme is an entrepreneurial internship programme that provides students and recent graduates paid work experience with local businesses. The programme enables participating local businesses to recruit final year students and recent graduates from City to undertake valuable work experience.
- Santander contributes £178.50 per week towards each internship and the SME must also contribute £178.50 per week – so the candidate is paid £357 per week minus payroll and tax contributions up to £1,785. This is reflective of the London Living Wage.
- The SME must have a turnover of less than £50m and have fewer than 250 employees.
- Internships are open to current students and graduates from City and Cass.
- Internships must be for between 1 to 10 weeks in duration
- Internships that are 1 - 2 weeks are fully funded by Santander and internships which are 3 – 10 weeks are part (50%) funded by Santander
- A maximum of two internships per SME is allowed during the year.
The recruitment process
- Unitemps is the internal recruitment service at City that will manage the allocation of funding for this programme
- The SME must sign the Funding Agreement in order to be allocated funding. The SME then processes the funding through its own payroll.
- All internships will be advertised online at Unitemps and CVs will be sent to you for review.
- Unitemps will arrange interviews and assist with offers
- The intern will be paid by the SME. The SME will invoice City on a monthly basis for the funding it is entitled to.
How can you sign up?
Please contact Lydia Hughes on +44 (0)20 7040 4684 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to participate in the programme.