Presentations and Stalls
Presentations are used by recruiters to raise their profile within City and promote their graduate/internship/placement opportunities to students.
Presentations are used by recruiters to raise their profile within City and promote their graduate, internship, and/or placement opportunities to students. This is an excellent chance for you to inform City students about your industry, organisational culture and different career paths, as well as your selection and application procedures.
This service costs £200 + VAT and includes:
- Hiring a lecture theatre or reception room to fit your needs
- AV equipment.
- Extensive promotion and marketing of your event via email alerts and posters
- Social media promotion through our Twitter and Facebook platforms
- The opportunity to write a blog about your organisation for our Careers blog
- Operating an online sign-up sheet (monitoring attendance)
- Feedback assessment from students - please note that this service is only available on request.
It is advisable to hold your presentation or workshop during the Autumn Term (October - late November) or Spring Term (January - March), when final year students are actively searching for career opportunities. Most presentations take place either in the evening (6-8pm) or during lunchtime (12-2pm), preferably from Monday to Thursday.
Please note that we always try not to have more than one recruiter from the same sector running a presentation at the same time.
We have a range of venues across campus sites available to accommodate your needs. Due to licensing laws it is not always possible to have a presentation and reception in the same room, if you intend to hold one. Please note that some rooms are not open for external/commercial use, and we advise you to contact us to ensure that a suitable room is available for your event.
We offer an extensive range of modern AV equipment. The majority of our venues include an internet-connected, audio-enabled resident PC with a data projector with laptop input, controlled from the classroom podium, or ‘pod’.
The 'pod' has the following features:
- A Windows PC
- A Sympodium (a PC screen/interactive pen display)
- A visualiser (a camera which sits over a flat surface on which you place an object whose image/video can be projected on screen)
- VGA/network cables for laptop connection
- A DVD/VHS player
- An audio cassette deck
- A Crestron touch-control panel which controls the transition between the components of the Pod (resident PC, laptop, visualiser, DVD, VHS and audio tape).
The visual output from each pod is normally displayed via a data projector onto a screen, or in some rooms it is output onto a large plasma TV. All pods are also connected to wall speakers. Pods in larger rooms include microphones and webcams.
Flipchart stands, pads and pens are also available on request.
You have the option of holding a reception during or after the presentation to get the chance to talk more informally with students and answer their queries.
Catering is exclusively prepared by our in-house Catering Service, offering a large variety of hospitality menus.
We recommend that you contact a member of our Employer Engagement team to order catering, as they will be able to advise you on the best option for your specific event.
All events are advertised on our Careers webpages, on CitySpace, CareersHub (online careers portal) and through social media. In addition, we will send email shots to all students or targeted student groups and can also arrange for your own posters and leaflets to be distributed around busy campus areas.
On the day of your on-campus presentation, there will be a member of the Careers staff present to help you. A booking contract will be sent out once the dates and your requirements have been confirmed. Invoicing normally occurs after the event has been held.
Based on feedback from previous events at City, students were impressed with presentations that:
- Provided them with a good overview of the organisation and the industry as a whole
- Gave a clear description of the variety of roles available
- Involved a number of presenters from different divisions
- Allowed the different speakers to talk about their personal career path
- Were short, interactive and focused
- Allowed the students to ask questions and network with company representatives.
Students were disappointed with presentations that:
- Were too long
- Were not interactive and did not allow them to ask questions
- Just repeated information that was already available on the company's website.
Arranging a presentation
If you have any questions regarding presentations and/or how you can get involved, please do not hesitate to contact us for an informal discussion; we will be happy to assist you in planning a helpful session for the benefit of both you and the students.
Contact the Employer Engagement team to consider ideas for topics and days when you would be available.
We can provide lunchtime stalls for you on weekdays during term time in the Northampton Square Level 1 walkway, which is ideally located next to the main Northampton Square entrance between the student and staff refectories.
This corridor is used as a central meeting place by our students during the day and it will give you the opportunity to talk on an informal basis to a large number of students, to promote upcoming events, or any vacancy opportunities you might have, thus raising your company's profile on campus considerably and effectively.
A stall is normally available between 11:00 and 15:00 and the cost of renting this space is only £200 + VAT.
We will provide you with back screens, tables and chairs. All lunchtime stalls are automatically advertised on our Careers webpages, on CitySpace (the internal e-learning space) and in our Careers Library.
If you wish to discuss this option in more detail, or arrange a date, please get in touch with the Employer Engagement team.