The Micro-Placements Programme
The Micro-Placements Programme provides an opportunity for students to take on exciting projects and gain real life experience to enhance their core employability skills and explore different career options.
The Micro-Placement Programme offers opportunities for students who want to explore careers different from those traditionally associated with their degree. It is an exciting way to gain professional experience via short summer placements with a wide range of London-based employers. The aim of the Programme is to give you a real-life exposure to the business environment and enhance your employability skills. The Micro-Placements will take place in June and July 2020 and will last from 3 to 5 weeks.
Am I eligible?
In 2019/20 the Micro-Placements Programme is offered to a number of courses. You can find the full list of courses, eligibility criteria and more information about the selection process here.
I’m interested, what do I do now?
If the Programme is offered to your course, you can start your journey in 3 simple steps:
- Complete a short Expression of Interest form which opens on Monday 23rd September 2019 and closes on Sunday 6th October 2019.To express interest please click here.
- Attend a mandatory MPP Workshop.
- Complete an Online Application form.
Check the website for updates!
If you would feel supported in completing your application by the introduction of some reasonable adjustments, then please contact us to discuss this further.
Frequently asked questions about the Micro-Placement programme
Micro-Placements are three-five weeks long. You get the choice of how long you want to commit.
Examples of projects our student worked on in the past include:
- Chamber and Committee Team Assistance project with the House of Commons (public sector)
- Sustainability project with Pinsent Masons LLP (law firm)
- Premier League Marketing Campaign project with Sky UK (telecommunications company)
- Human Resouces and Employee Engagement projects with Tata Consulting Services (information technology service)
- Competition Analysis project with Salt-Water Sandals (retailer)
- Data Protection Improvement and GDPR compliance project with Save the Children International (charity)
- Customer Relations project with Hachette (publisher)
- Marketing and Business Development projects with UK Study Centre (educational consultancy and private tuition)
This will depend on a specific Micro-Placement, but there are both full-time and part-time options available. We will ask you to indicate whether you are available full-time and part-time or part-time only in the Expression of Interest form.
Yes, you will have all your lunch and travel expenses covered.
Unfortunately, we are unable to accept applications after the deadline, due to the competitive nature of this programme.
If you cannot attend your allocated workshop, please let us know as soon as possible and we will try to accommodate you at another workshop subject to availability.
We believe learning is essential and therefore the workshop is open to all students in participating courses and year groups. If you have not submitted an Expression of Interest form you will still be allowed to attend the workshops but you will not be able to participate in the Micro-Placements Programme.
Attending the Workshops is mandatory and, unfortunately, we are unable to progress students who failed to attend.
Yes, we encourage students to book mock interviews with the Careers Service Careers Advisors. You can book an appointment online here.
You will be notified of the outcome of your application in w/c 11th November 2019. If you are successful, we will invite you to one of our Assessment Centres.
Unfortunately, some examination re-sits may clash with your Micro-Placement and in that case, you must forfeit your place.
Yes, you can! As the number of hours you are allowed to work may be restricted by your visa, do not hesitate to contact the Micro-Placements Team for more guidance.
if you couldn't find answers to your questions above, please feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org