Industry Insight Programme
Did you know that only 50% of all UK graduates are working in a field related to their degree after leaving university?
The Industry Insight Programme will help you improve your skills and find out more about multiple sectors and employers in an external setting. You may wish to engage with industries directly related to your degree or simply because you have a genuine interest to explore different sectors.
Apply for an Industry Insight if you want to:
- Broaden your knowledge of industries and related sectors
- Gain confidence to approach professionals with questions about working in their roles
- Begin to develop your professional network
- Gain application and interview practice
- Help inform your future academic progression and career choices
- Further your professional development.
The Industry Insight Programme is open to all current students. Students from Widening Participation backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Industry Insights are a series of off-campus events, held throughout the year, with mainly large companies from a variety of different sectors. This includes: finance, law, engineering, IT, media, retail, not-for-profit and the public sector. We will endeavor to source opportunities to meet the needs and expectations of City’s diverse student population.
The Insight will last a half day to a full day. The structure of the day may include an introduction by the host, a tour of the company’s offices, a company presentation with a Q&A opportunity, workshops and insight meetings with key staff members.
Students complete a three-stage application process:
1. Answer a set of competency-based questions via a company-specific application form setup on CareerHub.
2. For successful candidates, the second stage is a chance for the Insight hosts to shortlist those who they would like to invite to the Insight Day. The second-stage will differ depending on the host. Some examples include: CVs, phone interviews, competency questions etc.
3. Students who are shortlisted will be asked to attend a mandatory Group Preparation Session headed by a Careers Consultant to discuss how to prepare for the Insight Day.
Successful students should remember they are ambassadors for City University of London and be well prepared for the day. You will be emailed the full joining instructions for the Insight opportunity.
Students who are disabled, have a mental health condition or a specific learning difference (SpLD), or any other access needs or requirements, are able to request reasonable adjustments from the Employer Engagement team with regard to this application process.
While it may not be possible to meet all requirements or fulfill all requests, we will make every effort to ensure the accessibility of this process, and to seek appropriate advice from expert services (Learning Success and Student Counselling and Mental Health) where this would be beneficial to students.
If you would feel supported in completing your application by the introduction of some reasonable adjustments, then please contact the Industry Insight team to discuss this further .
Students are strongly encouraged to apply for multiple Insights.
No, applications will not be accepted after the deadline.
You will hear back from the Industry Insight team shortly after the Insight deadline date has passed.
Host companies will not be asked to cover your travel or lunch expenses but may offer to do so.
Most Industry Insights will be sourced within the Greater London area, but they may also be available with companies outside of London. If an Insight will take place outside London you will need to consider your own travel arrangements before applying.