Coaching Psychology Unit
The Coaching Psychology Unit was launched in December 2005 and was the first university-based coaching psychology unit to be established in the UK. The focus of the Unit is to encourage research into all aspects of the developing field of coaching psychology and coaching.
Our research includes:
- Developing the theory and practice of coaching psychology
- Effectiveness of coaching and coaching psychology practice
- Return on Investment of coaching in organisations
- Leadership development through coaching
- The adaptation of therapeutic approaches to the field of coaching
- Boundaries between coaching, coaching psychology, mentoring, counselling and psychotherapy
- Coaching in multicultural settings, organisations and society
- Coaching to reduce stress and enhance performance
- Internet coaching interventions
- Health coaching and wellbeing
- The practice of supervision
- Applied positive psychology.
Doctoral research students
We have two doctoral research students finishing their coaching psychology research in 2017:
- PhD students: Ulrika Hultgren
- DPsych students: Tony Fusco
Current research is focusing on authentic leadership, group coaching, health coaching, online coaching, resilience, stress, team coaching, and wellbeing. Our first successful student, Dr Kristina Gyllensten, obtained her DPsych in 2006. Dr Addy Hackett was our first student to be awarded the Dr of Coaching Psychology. In 2013, Dr Vicky Ellam-Dyson and Dr Alanna O'Broin both obtained PhDs. All of our research students have published papers in peer reviewed journals on their particular field of work and have contributed to the developing field of coaching psychology.
The Coaching Psychology Unit will consider research and consultancy assignments for external organisations. If interested, please contact Professor Stephen Palmer.
Further information about the Coaching Psychology Unit
Members of the team teach on the BSc Psychology degree, Year 3 elective module on Coaching Psychology. We are also involved in international collaborations.
- International and National Collaboration
- List of publications and conference presentations