Title of thesis: Recurrence in Acousmatic Music
Supervisor: Professor Denis Smalley
Overview and research interests
Ambrose's research investigates recurrent phenomena in acousmatic musical works, seeking a view of structural features and processes in terms of the constituent sound materials within a work and any perceived connections between them.
This research stimulates the consideration of, and engagement with, issues of sound identity correspondence and temporal relationship. Such an investigative approach aims to stimulate both analytical and creative strategies; existing works may be appraised in such terms, yet a heightened awareness of the various issues may usefully enrich the compositional process.
- Acousmatic music composition
- Multi-channel composition
- Analysis of electroacoustic music
Ambrose has an MA Composition (electroacoustic), with Distinction from City University London and where he was awarded the Worshipful Company of Cordwainers Prize for Most Outstanding Student on the MA programme. He has a BMus Hons from Goldsmiths, University of London.
Competition awards, prizes and mentions
- 10_35_70 (2007) received Special Mention in the Foundation Destellos International Competition of Electroacoustic Composition and Visual-Music 2010.
- Fouram (2005) received the European Region Composition Prize at the International Computer Music Conference 2007.
- Fouram (2005) received 1st prize in the 2006 Visiones Sonoras Electroacoustic Music Composition Competition, Mexico.
- Fouram (2005) published on the music compact disc of the International Computer Music Conference 2007.
Recent concert performances/broadcasts
Fleeting Strands (2011)
- Fylkingen, Stockholm, Sweden, October 2011
- IDKA (Institutet för Digitala Konstarter), Gävle, Sweden, October 2011
- Acousmatic/electroacoustic music concert at Royal Academy of Music, London, June 2011
- 'Orpheus Unplugged' concert of electroacoustic music, City University London, London, May 2011
The Nowness of Everything (2009)
- ICMC 2011 (International Computer Music Conference), Huddersfield
- Electroacoustic Music Studies Network Conference 2011, New York, hosted by The Electronic Music Foundation, New York
- SSSP 2011 (Sound Sight Space Play), De Montfort University, Leicester, UK
- Phonogène, on Radio HDR 99.1, Rouen, France, March 2011
- Music Under the Influence of Computers, Center for Research in Computing and the Arts, University of California, San Diego, USA, May 2010
- Sound Studio Concert at City University London, London, March 2010
- Elektramusic 'Radioshow for Experimental Music', France, May 2011
- Café Sonore: Café Sonore Met Prix Destellos 2010 on Radio6 - Soul and Jazz, Netherlands, January 2011
- Investigating Recurrences in Andrew Lewis's Penmon Point, in the proceedings of Sound, Sight, Space and Play 2010, Postgraduate Symposium for the Creative Sonic Arts, De Montfort University Leicester, United Kingdom, 2-4 June 2010.
- Recurrence in Acousmatic Music: Creative and Analytical Possibilities in the proceedings of Electroacoustic Music Studies Network Conference 2007
- Recurrence and Sound material Identity in Acousmatic Composition, published in the proceedings of DMRN-06: Digital Music Research Network Doctoral Research Conference 2006, Goldsmiths College, University of London.
- Keynote presentation Developing a Taxonomy of Recurrence for Acousmatic Music: Sound Identity Correspondences at Sight, Sound, Space and Play 2011, De Montfort University, Leicester
- Investigating Recurrences in Andrew Lewis's Penmon Point at Sight, Sound, Space and Play 2010, De Montfort University, Leicester
- Recurrence in Acousmatic Music: Creative and Analytical Possibilities at the Electroacoustic Music Studies Network Conference 2007, De Montfort University, Leicester
- Recurrence in Acousmatic Music Composition, and composition Fouram (2005) at the Royal Musical Association Research Students' Conference 2007, Bristol University.
- Approaches to Electroacoustic Composition at Visiones Sonoras Festival Internacional de Música Electroacoústica y Nuevas Tecnologías, Mexico City and Morelia, Mexico, September 2006
- Recurrence and Sound material Identity in Acousmatic Composition at DMRN-06: Digital Music Research Network Doctoral Research Conference 2006, Goldsmiths, University of London, July 2006
- Working with Recurrent Phenomena in Acousmatic Music Composition at the Royal Musical Association Research Students' Conference 2006, Surrey University.
Ambrose is a visiting lecturer at City, University of London, teaching Music sound and technology.