1. Accommodation
  2. Currently in halls
  3. Leaving early

Leaving early

As you will know, you have signed and agreed to a legal agreement with a private housing provider. The terms of that agreement dictates that you are liable to pay rent for the duration of the contracted period. This means that the Hall will not accept requests to terminate contracts early and move out before the end of the contract.

However the halls will accept, as a compromise, terminations of contracts in the event that a replacement student is found to take over your room. If you are considering leaving your accommodation in halls of residence early, read the below points carefully on finding a replacement student and please be aware that you will remain liable for the Licence Fee until such time as a replacement is found.

Finding a suitable replacement

Your replacement student will need to meet the criteria listed below:

  • Your replacement needs to be studying on a full-time course at City, University of London.
  • If you are living in a postgraduate-only hall (Willen House or Pure City), you must be replaced by a postgraduate student.
  • If you are in an undergraduate-only hall (Liberty Court, East Central House, Liberty Hall or Canto Court), you must be replaced by another undergraduate student.
  • In Alliance House, replacement students can be either postgraduate or returning (not first year) undergraduate students.
  • If you are situated in a single-sex flat, your replacement has to be of the same gender.

Once you have found a replacement

Once you have successfully found a replacement student that meets the above criteria, please contact the Student Centre who will nominate them to the relevant hall. A new contract and payment details are then emailed to the replacement student, which will need to be signed before your current contract ends. Once a replacement student has fully completed their booking you may be requested to vacate your room on short notice.

How can the Accommodation team help?

If you wish to leave Halls of Residence early, you can inform the Accommodation Team in the Student Centre by filling out a Halls Leavers Form. You are also required to inform your Hall reception.

The Student Centre receives a few enquiries from students wishing to take up residence in halls throughout the academic year. If we are aware of your vacancy, we will happily help by making the connection between you and any students looking for hall accommodation.

Please note that the amount of enquiries received from students looking for accommodation varies over the period of the academic year with particularly low interest towards the end of the academic year. There is no guarantee that a replacement student can be sourced through the Student Centre. Please note that it is your responsibility to find a replacement, even if you have notified the Student Centre.