City, University of London, is at the leading edge of computer science education and offers specialist, skills-focused MSc courses to prepare you for professional roles in the field of information security.
Concerns about cyber security and information risk have led to a growing market for technical specialists, but there is also a need for more senior professionals with an awareness of both technical and business issues who can bridge the gap between IT security and business risk.
Our two MSc degrees address the need for specialists with an early career in cyber security and IT professionals with about 5 years' experience.
Why study MSc Cyber Security?
MSc Cyber Security will prepare you for a successful career in the various roles directly and indirectly connected to the world of computer, network and information security.
It will develop your specialist analytical, operational and development skills in both technical and socio-technical areas of cyber security. The primary objective of MSc Cyber Security is to practise security with an interdisciplinary shared coursework that spans across all security related modules.
The course is designed for those who wish to extend their capability for an accelerated early career in cyber security, and who have also completed a first degree in a computing subject (e.g. computer science, business computing) or a numerate subject (e.g. applied mathematics, engineering, physics) if that covered a significant computing component.
Why study MSci Computer Science with Cyber Security?
On this four-year degree, you will develop a firm foundation in technical computing, before specialising in cyber security. You’ll learn how software and systems work, developing practical skills in analysis, design and programming. Later, you’ll move on to topics such as cryptography, cyber crime, sociotechnical risks and digital forensics.
You’ll become ethical hackers, identifying flaws in computing devices and networks, and tracing attacks while auditing systems. You will study at master’s level in your fourth year, learning alongside our internationally renowned researchers at the cutting edge of the subject.
- Become proficient in a broad range of programming languages and cutting-edge games programming techniques
- Boost your professional credibility, employability and earning potential with a degree that satisfies the academic requirements for CEng status
- Gain practical work experience with an optional one-year work placement: past students have worked for Accenture, Deloitte, HP, IBM and Xerox
- Study in City’s computing labs, which include the latest hardware and software, such as state-of-art NVidia GPUs
- Gain three years of professional experience with our innovative Professional Pathway Scheme, combining paid employment and study.