Dr Apostolos Karvountzis-Kontakiotis
Dr. Karvountzis studied Mechanical Engineering at Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece. He obtained his diploma in 2009 and continued his research in the Laboratory of Applied Thermodynamics (LAT) at Aristotle University where he obtained his PhD in 2015. At the same time he was working in Exothermia S.A (LAT spin-off) which gave him the opportunity to collaborate with the majority of the automotive industry on the design and modelling of various exhaust aftertreatment technologies, with special focus on vehicles exhaust thermal management. From September 2015 since May 2017 he worked as a post-doctoral research fellow at Brunel University London at Centre of Advanced Powertrain and Fuels (CAPF) for an Innovate UK project entitled as “Adapting a Radial Inflow Expander in an ORC for Waste Heat Recovery in Off-Highway Vehicles”. Since May 2017 he is a post doctoral research associate at City University London. His research interests lie in energy and thermal management and in particular on the computational and experimental investigation of expanders on ORC applications.
PhD, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (Greece), 2015
Diploma of Engineering (MEng), Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (Greece), 2009
|2017 – Present||City, University of London||Research Associate|
|2015 – 2017||Brunel University London||Post-doctoral Research Fellow|
|2009 – 2015||Exothermia S.A.||Project Engineer|
|2009 – 2015||Aristotle University of Thessaloniki||Research Engineer|
- Alshammari F., Karvountzis-Kontakiotis A., Pesiridis A., Minton T., “Radial Turbine Expander Design for an Engine Organic Rankine Cycle Waste Heat Recovery System”, Energy Procedia, vol 129, pg: 285-292, doi: 10.1016/j.egypro.2017.09.155.
- Marchionni M., Bianchi G., Karvountzis-Kontakiotis A., Pesiridis A., Tassou S.A.., “Dynamic modeling and optimization of an ORC unit equipped with plate heat exchangers and turbomachines”, Energy Procedia, vol 129, pg: 224-231, doi: 10.1016/j.egypro.2017.09.146.
- Mahmoudzadeh Andwari A., Pesiridis A., Esfahanian V., Salavati-Zadeh A., Karvountzis-Kontakiotis A., Muralidharan V, (2017) “A Comparative Study of the Effect of Turbocompounding and ORC Waste Heat Recovery Systems on the Performance of a Turbocharged Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine”, Energies, vol: 10(8), 1087, doi: 10.3390/en10081087.
- Andwari AM., Pesiridis A., Karvountzis-Kontakiotis A., Esfahanian V., (2017) “Hybrid Electric Vehicle Performance With Organic Rankine Cycle Waste”, Applied Science, vol: 7(5), 437, doi: 10.3390/app7050437.
- Karvountzis-Kontakiotis A., Dimaratos A., Ntziachristos L., Samaras Z., (2017) “Exploring the stochastic and deterministic aspects of cyclic emission variability on a high speed spark-ignition engine”, Energy, vol: 118, pg: 68-76, doi: 10.1016/j.energy.2016.12.026.
- Karvountzis-Kontakiotis A., Ntziachristos L., (2016) “Improvement of NO and CO predictions for a homogeneous combustion SI engine using a detailed chemistry model”, Applied Energy, vol: 162, pg: 172-182, doi: 10.1016/j.apenergy.2015.10.088.
- Karvountzis-Kontakiotis A., Ntziachristos L., (2015) “Investigation of cycle-to-cycle variability of NO in homogeneous combustion”, Oil and Gas Science and Technology, vol 70(1), pg:111-123, doi: 10.2516/ogst/2013199.
- Kousoulidou M., Dimaratos A., Karvountzis-Kontakiotis A., Samaras Z., (2014) “Combustion and Emissions of a Common-Rail Diesel Engine Fueled with HWCO”, Journal of Energy Engineering, vol 140(3), doi: 10.1061/(ASCE)EY.1943-7897.0000154.
- Koltsakis G., Samaras Z., Karvountzis-Kontakiotis A., Zacharopoulou T., Haralampous O., (2011) “Implications of Engine Start-Stop on Aftertreatment Operation”, SAE International Journal of Engines, vol 4(1), pg:1571-1585, doi: 10.4271/2011-01-1243.
- Karvountzis-Kontakiotis A., Pesiridis A., Zhao H., Alshammari F., Franchetti B., Pesmazoglou Y., Tocci L., “Effect of an ORC Waste Heat Recovery System on Diesel Engine Fuel Economy for Off-Highway Vehicles”, SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0136, 2017.
- Karvountzis-Kontakiotis A., Alshammari F., Pesiridis A., “Design of a Radial Expander for Organic Rankine Cycle Waste Heat Recovery In High Efficiency Off-Highway Vehicles”, Engine ORC Consortium, Belfast, UK, 14-16 September 2016.
- Karvountzis-Kontakiotis A., Alshammari F., Pesiridis A., Franchetti B., Pesmazoglou Y., Tocci L., “Variable Geometry Turbine Design for Off-Highway Vehicle Organic Rankine Cycle Waste Heat Recovery”, THIESEL 2016 Conference on Thermo- and Fluid Dynamic Processes in Direct Injection Engines, Valencia, Spain, 13-16 September 2016.
- Alshammari F., Karvountzis-Kontakiotis A., Pesiridis A., “Radial Turbine Expander Design for Organic Rankine Cycle Waste Heat Recovery in High Efficiency Off-Highway Vehicles”, 3rd Biennial International Conference on Powertrain Modelling and Control: Testing, Mapping and Calibration, Loughborough, UK, 7-9 September 2016.
- Karvountzis-Kontakiotis A., Ntziachristos L., Samaras Z., Dimaratos A., Peckham M., “Experimental investigation of cyclic variability on combustion and emissions of a high-speed SI engine”, SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0742, 2015. Zacharopoulou T., Souliotis T., Karvountzis-Kontakiotis A., Karamitros D., Koltsakis G., “Model based methodologies supporting real driving emissions challenges”, SIA POWERTRAIN International Conference, Versailles, France, 27-28 May 2015.
- Karvountzis-Kontakiotis A., Dimaratos A., Samaras Z., “A diesel engine model for the prediction of performance and nitric oxide emissions with conventional and alternative fuels”, AVL AST User Conference, Graz, Austria, 18-20 June 2013.
- Karvountzis-Kontakiotis A., Ntziachristos L., “A detailed chemical mechanism to predict NO cycle-to-cycle variation in homogeneous engine combustion”, 3rd IFAC Workshop on Engine and Powertrain Control, Simulation and Modeling, IFP Energies nouvelles, France, 23-25 Oct 2012.
- Gkipatidou D., Tsiakmakis S., Mertzis D., Karvountzis-Kontakiotis A., Samaras Z., “Simulation of gas engine operating on gasification gas”, AVL AST User Conference, Graz, Austria, 28-30 June 2011.