"Smart Card and Terminal usability requirements and needs"
Staff and funding
Principal investigator: Prof Helen Petrie (while at University of Hertfordshire)
Research staff: Paul van Schaik (now at University of Teesside)
Total funding: £621,600.00
Funding source: Technology Initiative for Disabled and Elderly (TIDE), Commission of the European Union
Duration: February 1994 to January 1997
The work undertaken by the SATURN Project involved:
- Identifying the needs of disabled and elderly users in relation to smart cards
- Examining the technical possibilities and economic constraints
- Designing prototype adapted smart cards and terminals
- Evaluating these systems with a cross-section of disabled and elderly users (an adapted Banking ATM and a multimedia terminal were evaluated in Sweden and in the U.K.)
- Proposing appropriate standards and legislation in the area of smart card technology.