Staff and funding
Principal investigator: Prof Helen Petrie
Research staff: Peter Pavan, Fraser Hamilton
Funding to the Centre: £110,364
Funding source: Department of Culture, Media and Sports
Duration: June 2004 to September 2005
Culture Online is a series of projects aiming to give both school children and life long learners easy access to high quality cultural resources. These resources include museums, galleries, arts organisations, film archives, and libraries.
Helen Petrie's team is ensuring that the Culture Online projects provide truly interactive experiences allowing the user to engage in real cultural events such as having discussions with curators, receiving lessons from artists, or taking tips from theatre directors. The projects also encourage both individual users and communities to participate by allowing them to design and submit their own materials and post them online.
- Raising awareness of various disabilities amongst Culture Online design teams.
- Training project teams how to create accessible media and in user centred design techniques.
- Evaluating media with a range of disabled people.
- Providing guidelines for the design of accessible media, for example, images, animations, video.
- Promoting project communication and collaboration.
- Disseminating research material.
- Channel 4
- The Design Museum
- Kew Gardens
- Victoria and Albert Museum
- 24 Hour Museum
- Royal Schools of Music
- The National Theatre
- Learnthings (Guardian Media Group)