About City
  1. Schools and departments
  2. Education
  3. Rector and President
  4. Governance and leadership
  5. Working at City
  6. History of City
  7. More about City
  8. Campus map
  9. Contact us
  1. Mathematics, Computer Science and Engineering
  2. About the School
About City


-Introduction-International students
-About our degrees-Letters to support visa applications
-Placements-Fee status and immigration enquiries
-Open Days and tours 
-Contacting us-English language proficiency
-Undergraduate Admissions Team contact details-Student visas and placement employment
-Main web pages-How your application is processed
-Our location-Standard offers
-Registering a change of address 
-When the exam results come out-Excluded qualifications
-Student life, fees and finance-Interviews
-Hours of study per week-Gap years
-Part-time work during study-Late applications
-Paying fees-Miscellaneous
-Halls of residence-Car parking and congestion charge
-More about student finance-One site teaching


This page answers some of the most frequently asked questions from applicants. We hope you find the information useful and we're always pleased to receive feedback or suggestions for future versions.

About our degrees

What degree courses do you offer?


What is an industrial placement?

A placement is time spent in industry as a part of your degree. One-year placements are the most popular form of work-based learning at City, University of London and can commence after the successful completion of your second year of study. Placement students undertake a period of work lasting between nine and twelve months. You will then return to institution to complete your studies.

Why do a placement?

We encourage applicants to give serious consideration to gaining relevant work experience during their time with us. Placements improve graduate employment prospects as well as leading to the attainment of a better class of degree. A placement also gives you the opportunity to earn a salary. We find that placement students return to City with more maturity, motivation, and a much better understanding of key concepts, having applied them on placement.

How much will I be paid on Placement?

How much depends on each employer. You would typically be paid between £15,000 and £22,000 per year while on placement.

What support is there for finding a placement?

City, University of London has extensive experience in enabling students to secure placement employment across a range of industries. The school work-based learning advisor and the careers department will promote placement vacancies throughout the academic year. Placements are not guaranteed, you will need to apply directly to a number of companies that interest you. We provide support at all stages of the placement process such as helping you with CV preparation and providing practise interviews and psychometric tests.

Can I find my own placement?

You are welcome to secure your own placement, which must then be approved by your Industrial Liaison Tutor to ensure that it meets our standards and is relevant and useful to your degree.

What support is provided while I am on placement?

Your visiting tutor will meet with you twice during the year to help you to maximize your professional and academic achievements.

When do I need to decide if I want to do a placement?

One-year placements are finalised during the second year. You are advised to start your placement search at the end of the summer of your first year. Workshops will be organised to brief you on what you need to do and when.

Can overseas students go on placements?

Yes. The Home Office allows overseas students to take up placement employment in the UK without needing a work permit, and without jeopardising your student visa status.

Do I need to pay fees during my placement year?

Students do pay pro-rata fees whilst on placement; contact the finance office for full details.

Who can I contact for more information about placements?

Please contact Laura Blatchford the school work-based learning advisor on sems-placements@city.ac.uk

Do you run Open Days and tours?

Yes. If you are made an offer you will be invited to an open day in the spring. We also hold a few open afternoons in the summer for late and international applicants. Pre-application events and "taster days" are also hosted by the department. All open days are listed here.

Additional tours and institution-wide open days are available, details can be found here.

Contacting us and location

What are your contact details?

We are happy to answer your queries. Please state your UCAS number in all email, phone and written queries.

Undergraduate Admissions Team
School of Engineering and Mathematical Sciences Programmes Office
City, University of London
Northampton Square
London EC1V 0HB

You can find our contact details here.

What are your main web pages?

Our main web pages are:

City, University of London Main Page

School of Engineering and Mathematical Sciences

Where are you located? How do I get there?

The institution's main site is in Northampton Square. For directions to the main site, please refer to: www.city.ac.uk/maps

What should I do if my contact details change?

First of all contact UCAS to let them know. In addition, we would strongly advise you to write to all of the institutions you have applied to, remembering to quote your UCAS number. They can then ensure that their records are up to date.

What should I do when the exam results come out?

If you accept an offer from us as either firm or insurance, you will be sent details on what to do in July. So do not worry for now. If you get results before then, please get in touch with us and we will advise you on what to do.

Student life, fees, and finance

How many hours per week will I have to study?

Civil Engineering

For Civil Engineering, students should expect a full timetable running 9am-6pm on all weekdays. There will be days when sessions start after 9am or finish before 6pm, but in the first instance students must ensure that they would be available at all times until the timetable is released.

Electrical and Electronic Engineering:

It varies from term to term and from year to year. On average you have to spend about 20
hours per week for lectures/labs/tutorials and another 20 hours for self study.


The amount of hours per week may vary slightly from term to term and from year to year (specially in the 2nd and 3rd years, when students have much flexibility on their choice of options). However, an average number would be about 15 hours per week of lectures/tutorials/labs.

Mechanical, Energy and Automotive:

These courses are generally full time, 9am-5pm, five days a week, ie: about 35 hours contact time (including lectures, tutorials, laboratory and design exercises etc).

What are your views on part-time work during degree study?

Applicants should note that our degrees are demanding and full-time. Therefore we strongly advise students to work no more than one day per week during term time, otherwise it may impact on your ability to study and pass your degree.

If you think that you need to work more than this to make ends meet, we would advise that you either consider deferred entry (to build up savings), or a course that is delivered by part-time study (eg Birkbeck College or the Open University).

International students should familiarise themselves with the regulations for part-time working whilst on a student visa, before embarking on any employment.

Who do I talk to about paying fees?

The institution's Finance Office handles the collection of fees at registration. Details of how to pay are sent out with registration packs in early September. Therefore you do not need to worry about this until then. We advise applicants against making any payment to any university until you are "unconditional firm" with that university in the UCAS system.

More information can in found in the meantime at Paying Fees.

What about getting a place in halls of residence?

We guarantee accommodation for applicants who meet the following criteria:

  • You live outside Greater London;
  • You accept our offer as 'firm' by 15th May of the year of entry;
  • You provide the accommodation service with a completed application form by 15th May of the year of entry.

We usually send you an application form with your offer letter.

The Accommodation Office also seeks to accommodate as many students as possible who do not meet the guarantee. They can also provide assistance with finding accommodation in the private sector.

The Accommodation Office City, University of London Northampton Square London EC1V 0HB England

Tel: +44 (0)20 7040 8033

Website: www.city.ac.uk/study/accommodation/

Where can I find out more about student finance?

The rules regarding student finance can be complicated. The National Union of Students provide a number of useful fact-sheets.

The Student Centre at City, University of London can discuss finance issues and assist you whilst you are studying here.

International students

I need a letter to support my application for a visa, who do I ask?

The central Undergraduate Admissions Office will provide supporting letters for visa applications. Please provide your UCAS number in your request.

Central Undergraduate Admissions Office City, University of London, Northampton Square London EC1V OHB England.

Tel: +44 (0)20 7040 8028/8716/0223

Email: ugadmissions@city.ac.uk

Do you have an international Office?

Yes. Find out about inductions and services City provides for international students: http://www.city.ac.uk/international/

International Office City, University of London, Northampton Square London EC1V OHB England.

Email: international@city.ac.uk

Who do I talk to about my fee status and related immigration enquiries?

You should contact the Central Undergraduate Admissions Office direct by email ugadmissions@city.ac.uk or by phone +44 (0)20 7040 8028/8716/0223 to discuss your fee status.

For independent advice on immigration issues for international students you can contact UKCISA, whose website has an excellent guide for international students www.ukcisa.org.uk

The Advice and Training Team UKCISA 9-17 St Albans Place London N1 0NX England

Tel: +44 (0)20 7354 5210 Advice line open from 1300 to 1600 hours (British time), Monday to Friday.

What do you consider to be sufficient evidence of English language proficiency?

We require a minimum of IELTS band 6.0, TOEFL 87 (internet-based test).

We will consider other English proficiency qualifications on a case-by-case basis. Please contact us by phone +44 (0)20 7040 8406 or by email ugenquire@soi.city.ac.uk if you have any queries.

Will my student visa cover placement employment?

Yes, because the placement employment is considered part of the degree (confirmed by the British Government's Home Office). This also applies to the Professional Pathway.

How your application is processed

What are your "standard offers"?

Usually, for GCE applicants our "typical" conditional offer is 320 UCAS Tariff points excluding Key Skills (eg BBC plus extra AS at grade C). We may also accept students who miss this offer. We do exclude some subjects (our admissions policy document and our section on exclusion explains why).

We usually expect applicants to have taken the equivalent of three A-levels (18 units) which must include either two subjects at full A-level, or one subject at double award. This is to ensure that entrants to our courses can handle the demands and workload of the degrees.

For example, in the case of the BTEC National Certificate/Diploma, our standard offer is a distinction/merit profile (DDM) in a technological subject and the International Baccalaureate should be 29 IB points.

Advanced 14-19 Diplomas are treated as per the UCAS Tariff, in line with the policy for our A-level applicants. we would consider the IT diploma to satisfy the required technical coverage in the subject mix; hence we are flexible as regards Additional and Specialist Learning in line with our A-level requirements. The core progression diploma is considered to be equivalent to 2 1/2 A-levels.

Students with international qualifications will be treated on a case-by-case basis.

Do you exclude Key Skills from Tariff offers?

Yes, though the possession of Key Skills at level three will be viewed positively if you fall short of our stated offer (though if your school does not offer them then you will not be disadvantaged). In most cases, Application of Number is the most relevant.

Do you exclude some A-levels from the offer?

We exclude subjects that 'distort' the offer, or because they are not relevant. In particular we usually exclude A-levels in General Studies and foreign languages where we have reason to believe that it is the applicant's mother tongue.

The last point needs explaining. Foreign language A-levels are designed for non-native speakers, so mother tongue speakers will be at a strong (and we feel unfair) advantage. If the language is not your mother tongue we would need to see a letter from your school/college, before we can re-consider our decision.

If more than four A-level equivalent are presented then we usually exclude the subject we feel is least relevant.

In the case where an applicant falls short of a stated offer, we will take into account accomplishment in excluded subjects when deciding whether to accept an applicant.

It is worth clarifying that excluding an A-level also excludes the accompanying AS.

What is your policy as regards interviewing applicants?

Civil Engineering

Applicants for Civil Engineering with Architecture must normally participate in a sketching exercise before an offer can be made. For all other Civil Engineering applicants, an interview is a possibility.

Electrical and Electronic Engineering:

Normally, we select applicants based on their qualifications/references without interviews,
but occasionally we call applicants for interviews if we think they have potential not reflected in their applications.


At present we do not interview applicants. We largely base our decisions on their academic performance.

Mechanical, Energy and Automotive:

We sometimes interview those candidates with unusual non-UK qualifications

What if I would like to do a gap year?

We are supportive of applicants undertaking a gap year. You can either:

  • Apply for deferred entry beforehand (in most cases before you have your A-level results); or apply to us for an unconditional offer after you have your A-level results, during the UCAS round for the intended year of entry.
  • Your application will be treated the same as all the others, so if you want to take a gap year and you're of the standard we want, you can expect a warm welcome!

Our policy is to defer/bring back year of entry on written request.

How do I apply? What is your policy as regards late applicants?

We only accept applications via the UCAS system. Go to the UCAS web-site www.ucas.ac.uk for further information.

We will process late applications at our discretion if there was a valid reason for missing the deadline. (eg an international applicant may be unaware of the deadlines imposed by UCAS, have different school calendars, or may not have had the means to apply before). Non-standard applicants are considered throughout the UCAS cycle.

UK students currently studying in schools/colleges will be considered to have known the mid-January UCAS deadline and a convincing reason would be necessary if they submitted a late application.

Miscellaneous questions

Can I park my car at City? Is City within the new congestion charge zone?

Parking in the area around City is limited and can be expensive. It is within the congestion charge zone which means that there is a daily charge of £8 for vehicles in the zone between 7am-6.30pm Monday to Friday, excluding Public Holidays. For further details please see www.cclondon.com

The area is well served by public transport with three tube/rail stations around a ten-minute walk (sometimes less) from the main Northampton Square site as well as numerous bus links.

For further information about public transport options, please see www.tfl.gov.uk

Will I have to study at a number of sites?

No. The Northampton Square site is compact and teaching invariably takes place there. It only takes 5-10 minutes to get from one part of the site to another. This transit time is included in your teaching timetable. In the extremely unlikely case that a teaching room had to be used off the main site, both of the two alternative buildings the session would reside in are only a further 5 minutes walk away.