One-year placements are taken after you have successfully completed your second year of study (or after your 3rd year of an MSci). You undertake a 9-12 month placement and then return to finish your studies.
Where placement students work
City, University of London has been delivering placements in the IT industry for over 20 years. We have developed an excellent reputation with a very wide range of employers both large and small in the public and private sector.
Our unique location in London enables us to work closely with companies in the fastest growing technology cluster in Europe – TechCity. Below are a small selection of the companies where our students have been placed:
- Thomson Reuters
What roles placement students do
Students undertake relevant professional industry work in a supportive learning environment.
- create software to improve business processes
- develop web applications to manage complex data
- develop websites to improve company online presence
- gather user requirements to improve systems and software
- provide consultancy services to help companies utilise cutting edge technology
- develop games for consoles and mobile applications
- build mobile applications
- provide support to users in the financial sector
- education and the NHS (and a range of private/public sector organisations)
- provide project management support as part of multinational project support teams
- a range of other technical and non-technical IT roles.
Typical role titles have been:
- software developer
- user support analyst
- mobile app developer
- junior business analyst
- project support officer
- software tester
- junior web developer
- games programmer
- junior consultant.