Public International LawThis subject explores the sources and subjects of international law. It focuses on the law of treaties, but also considers other sources of international law especially those relevant to energy and natural resources.
Principal topics to be covered include:
- The relationship between treaties and custom.
- The constitutive elements of a treaty and the existence of internationalised contracts.
- Entry into force; provisional application; legal effects of a treaty prior to its entry into force: special focus on the Energy Charter Treaty.
- Interpretation of treaties; fragmentation and unity of international law; focus on investment protection, trade and energy.
- Invalidity and termination of treaties.
- Subjects of international law; state jurisdiction; state responsibility.