MSc Projects with Jo Verhoeven
General research interests
My research interests are:
- Tone and intonation,
- Regional variation in the phonetic characteristics of Belgian Dutch
- Speech production disorders with specific emphasis on the relationship between Foreign Accent Syndrome, Dysarthria and Apraxia of speech.
- Dysprosody and the phonetic description of dysarthric speech.
Suggested MSc projects
- The devoicing of fricatives in English
The English language system contrasts voiced and voiceless fricatives. This project investigates the presence/absence of vocal fold vibration as a cue to voicing in the English fricatives in a sample group of 20 speakers.
- An electropalatography study of dysarthria
This project aims to investigate the articulatory characteristics of a specific type of dysarthria by means of electropalatography. This techniques allows for an objective measurement of various aspects of articulation and may contribute to a better insight in the speech problems of the dysarthria type under investigation.
- The phonetic characteristics of Foreign Accent Syndrome
Foreign Accent Syndrome is a rare motor speech disorder in which the pronunciation characteristics of the patient are changed in such a way that the patient’s speech is recognized as foreign. This project aims to describe the pronunciation and language features of one specific patient.
English phonetics, speech pathology