The Practice Excellence Awards celebrate the outstanding achievement of placement providers, and the contribution of placement colleagues who provide support to students’ learning in practice.
These awards are an opportunity for the School to thank the excellent support and contribution of its placement partners and gives them the recognition they deserve as voted first-hand by students.
Students who have had an excellent placement experience, or an exceptional supervisor are invited and encouraged to nominate them for a Practice Excellence Award and Supervisor of the Year Award. Students may submit up to two nominations, providing they nominate a different placement each time.
Information about the criteria against which students need to judge placement areas is detailed on the award nomination form.
Nominations are judged by a Placement Panel comprising of members of the SHS Practice Education Committee. Winners are presented their certificate and prize at the School of Health Sciences Annual Award ceremony.
2019 Award Winners
Speech & Language Therapy
Placement of the Year Award
- The Link Secondary School, Orchard Hill College Academy Trust
Practice Educator of the Year
- Claire Hunt (Adult Stroke and Neuro Community Team, Central and North West London NHS Foundation Trust)
Nursing & Midwifery
Outstanding Placement of the Year
- Wohl Unit, Nightingale Hammerson House(Nursing)
- Maternity Care Unit, Elizabeth Garrett Anderson Wing (University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust)(Midwifery)
Highly Commended Placement of the Year
- City Roads, London, Cranstoun (Nursing)
- Maternity Unit, North Middlesex University Hospital NHS Trust (Midwifery)
- PCCU 6C, Royal London (Barts Health NHS Trust) - Commended Placement of the Year 1 (Nursing)
- Graham Stroke Unit, Homerton University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust - Commended Placement of the Year 2 (Nursing)
- General Surgery 13D, Royal London (Barts Health NHS Trust) - Commended Placement of the Year 3 (Nursing)
- Glyn Ward, Royal Hospital for Neuro-disability - Commended Placement of the Year 4 (Nursing)
Mentor of the Year
- Paul Ratcliffe (Addison Road Medical Practice) (Nursing)
- Kelly Matthews (Millharbour Ward, East London NHS Foundation Trust)(Nursing)
- Mary Thomas (Rahere Ward 5B, St Bartholomew’s Hospital)
- Nicola Sheppard (Bridgeside Lodge Care Home)
- Jocasta Bray (Acorn Ward, Whipps Cross University Hospital, Barts Health NHS Trust)