About City
  1. Rector and President
  2. Schools and departments
  3. Governance and leadership
  4. Education
  5. Working at City
  6. History of City
  7. More about City
  8. Campus map
  1. Arts and Social Sciences
  2. International Politics
About City

Frequently asked questions

When is the deadline for applications?

There is no official deadline but students are advised to apply early in the year before places are filled in the Summer and also to allow enough time, especially if you need to apply for a Tier 4 visa or funding.

Is there an application fee?

No, applying is free.

How do I apply?

Please apply directly with the university, not through UCAS, online. Please visit our postgraduate course finder, then select the course you wish to apply for. On each course page there will be a link showing the minimum entry requirements and a 'how to apply' tab. Clicking on the tab will lead you to our online application form. Please register with your unique user name and password, then submit the application and upload the supporting documents. If you forget your login details contact IT on +44 207 0408181.

Can I send you additional supporting documents after I submit my application?

Yes, please email the relevant documents to the course officer Amber Jones as soon as they become available.

Do I need to have a background in International Politics to apply for your Masters?

You should have (or expect to achieve) a first or upper second class honours degree in politics, the social sciences or humanities, business or law. We will also consider your application if you have an equivalent degrees in another subject along with significant professional experience in a related field of employment or research. No formal training in economics is required.

When will I receive a decision by?

We aim to turnaround applications in 10 working days maximum. Decisions will be recorded on our interactive system and emailed to the applicant.

I will only graduate in the Summer before the programme starts. Can I still apply?

Yes, applicants who are still completing their undergraduate degree can apply, but undergraduate degree requirements must be completed before beginning our master's programme. If you are admitted, you will be asked to submit a final transcript showing final grades.

What are the minimum entry requirements?

We expect applicants to have achieved at least the equivalent of a UK upper second class degree (2:1), documented in a final degree transcript translated into English if applicable. Scanned certified copies suffice but originals will be required at registration.

What are the minimum English language qualifications entry requirements?

Applicants whose native language is not English or those who have not been taught their undergraduate degrees in English in a majority-speaking English country (according to UK Immigration requirements) are asked to submit an IELTS score (general, academic or UKVI). Successful applicants typically score a minimum of 6.5 or above overall and 6.0 on each sub-test. View a full list of all IELTS examinations accepted and other qualifications considered.

How long should my personal statement be and what should I include on it?

We suggest a word document with two sides of A4. Please state reasons for your interest in the course, mention any relevant work or volunteering experience and expand on your strengths as a student and ability to study a demanding programme at Masters level.

When will I be asked to pay my tuition fees?

If you wish to pay your fees in full, you will be required to pay by or on your first day of registration as a student at City, in September. The University also accepts payment of fees in two instalments. Half of the full fee for the course is required to be paid on the day of registration (in September), with the balance of fees payable by the last working day of the January following.

Do I need to pay a deposit?

Please note that you will be asked to pay a non-refundable deposit at the point of receiving an offer from the School (currently £500 for Home/EU students and £1,500 for Overseas students) in order to guarantee your place.

How do my sponsors pay for my course?

What if I need to apply for a visa?

If you receive a conditional offer you must send us the required documentation showing us you have met the conditions in your offer. We will then be able to issue you an unconditional offer. Once you have accepted the unconditional offer and paid the required deposit we will be able to send you a CAS statement to help with your Visa application.

What funding is available?

Do you offer any placements or internships?

We have a dedicated careers service and during the course the department will hold an International Politics Careers Day which explores career opportunities with Interanatopnal Politics degres and provides: • Talks by speakers within the field (including City alumni). Previous speakers have included staff from the Department for International Development, the Ministry of Justice, UNESCO, the EU Commission and the UN Peacebuilding Support Office (PBSO). • Talks by careers consultants and volunteering coordinators • CV, applications and volunteering drop-in sessions with careers professionals.

Can I have more information about modules available?

View details of available modules

Once you visit this page please click on the links to the postgraduate course you wish to apply for and check the list of available modules under the ‘content and structure’ tab.

What if I want to visit the campus?

Our campus is in the heart of London. We have regular campus tours and will be pleased to show you our facilities. See forthcoming dates

When is your next open evening?