- Linckelmann, M. and Murphy, W. (2021). A Nine-Dimensional Algebra which is not a Block of a Finite Group. The Quarterly Journal of Mathematics, 72(3), pp. 1077–1088. doi:10.1093/qmath/haaa061.
London EC1V 0HB
Will is a 3rd year PhD student in the representation theory group at the School of Mathematics, Computer Science and Engineering, City, University of London. His research under Professor Markus Linckelmann is focused on representation theory, and in particular the block theory of finite group algebras. Recently his interests have developed with regards to calculating the Lie algebra structure and solvability of the first Hochschild cohomology of blocks and group algebras, as this provides a useful invariant in the structure theory and classification of blocks.
- MSc, University of Oxford, United Kingdom, Oct 2016 – Sep 2017
- TESOL - Teacher of English to speakers of other languages, American Tesol Institute, Aug 2014
- BSc, University of Bristol, United Kingdom, Sep 2012 – Jul 2015
- Teacher of mathematics, Rugby School, Sep 2017 – Jul 2019
- Teacher of mathematics and English, Thabo School, Thailand, Aug 2015 – Mar 2016
Title of thesis: Concerning the Hochschild cohomology of finite group algebras and blocks
Sep 2019 – Oct 2023
Summary of research
An assortment of questions regarding the modular representation theory of finite group algebras, and in particular the Lie algebra structure of the first Hochschild cohomology of block aglebras.
- Professor Markus Linckelmann, Professor of Mathematics