London EC1V 0HB
Hongzhi is a full-time research student in Language and Communication Sciences department. Hongzhi completed M.A. TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) at King’s College London in 2020 and B.A. English Education in China in 2018. Hongzhi received EFL training in London during 2018 to 2019, in which she developed strong practical techniques in English teaching to adult learners from around the world. Following her interests in Second Language Acquisition and passion in pronunciation teaching in EFL practice, Hongzhi now focuses on investigating Mandarin-accented English features, their impacts on communication, and potential EFL implications.
Hongzhi has conducted a systematic review and identified over 60 segmental Mandarin-accented English features. Hongzhi intends to identify Mandarin-accented English features observed by in-service English teachers, which will be elicited through semi-structured interviews. The key features identified in the systematic review and teacher interviews will be the stimuli of a Mandarin-speaker-and-native-speaker communication study, in which the connection between Mandarin-accented English features and communication breakdown will be explored.
Prof Rachael-Anne Knight
Prof Lucy Dipper
- CELTA (Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults), International House London, United Kingdom, Mar 2019
- M.A. TESOL, King's College London, United Kingdom, Sep 2018 – Sep 2019
- B.A. English Education, Guangdong University of Education, China, Sep 2014 – Jun 2018
- Research Student, City, University London, Feb 2021 – Jan 2024
Chinese (Mandarin) (can read, write, speak, understand spoken and peer review) and English (can read, write, speak, understand spoken and peer review).
- Professor Rachael-Anne Knight, Honorary Professor
- Dr Lucy Dipper, Head of Language and Communication Science