- Higgins, B.E., Montesano, G., Crabb, D.P., Naskas, T.T., Graham, K.W., Chakravarthy, U. … Hogg, R.E. (2022). Assessment of the Classification of Age-Related Macular Degeneration Severity from the Northern Ireland Sensory Ageing Study Using a Measure of Dark Adaptation. Ophthalmology Science, 2(4), pp. 100204–100204. doi:10.1016/j.xops.2022.100204.
- Dunbar, H.M.P., Behning, C., Abdirahman, A., Higgins, B.E., Binns, A.M., Terheyden, J.H. … Wojek, C. (2022). Repeatability and Discriminatory Power of Chart-Based Visual Function Tests in Individuals With Age-Related Macular Degeneration. JAMA Ophthalmology, 140(8), pp. 780–780. doi:10.1001/jamaophthalmol.2022.2113.
- Higgins, B.E., Montesano, G., Binns, A.M. and Crabb, D.P. (2021). Optimising assessment of dark adaptation data using time to event analysis. Scientific Reports, 11(1). doi:10.1038/s41598-021-86193-3.
- Montesano, G., Ometto, G., Higgins, B.E., Das, R., Graham, K.W., Chakravarthy, U. … Hogg, R.E. (2021). Evidence for Structural and Functional Damage of the Inner Retina in Diabetes With No Diabetic Retinopathy. Investigative Opthalmology & Visual Science, 62(3), pp. 35–35. doi:10.1167/iovs.62.3.35.
- Higgins, B.E., Taylor, D.J., Binns, A.M. and Crabb, D.P. (2021). Are Current Methods of Measuring Dark Adaptation Effective in Detecting the Onset and Progression of Age-Related Macular Degeneration? A Systematic Literature Review. Ophthalmology and Therapy, 10(1), pp. 21–38. doi:10.1007/s40123-020-00323-0.
- Montesano, G., Naska, T.K., Higgins, B.E., Wright, D.M., Hogg, R.E. and Crabb, D.P. (2021). Determinants of Test Variability in Scotopic Microperimetry: Effects of Dark Adaptation and Test Indices. Translational Vision Science & Technology, 10(1), pp. 26–26. doi:10.1167/tvst.10.1.26.
- Montesano, G., Ometto, G., Higgins, B.E., Iester, C., Balaskas, K., Tufail, A. … Crabb, D.P. (2020). Structure–Function Analysis in Macular Drusen With Mesopic and Scotopic Microperimetry. Translational Vision Science & Technology, 9(13), pp. 43–43. doi:10.1167/tvst.9.13.43.
- Higgins, B.E., Taylor, D.J., Bi, W., Binns, A.M. and Crabb, D.P. (2020). Novel computer-based assessments of everyday visual function in people with age-related macular degeneration. PLOS ONE, 15(12). doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0243578.
London EC1V 0HB
Bethany was awarded a BSc (Hons) in Psychology and Cognitive Neuroscience from the University of Nottingham where she discovered her interest in vision research and neuroimaging. She was subsequently awarded a scholarship to undertake an MRes at The University Nottingham in the Department of Radiological Sciences. Her research focussed on the use of tensor imaging of paediatric tumours for visual outcome prediction.
Bethany moved to London in 2018 to join the Crabb Lab, headed by Professor David Crabb and is currently working towards her PhD in Optometry and Visual Sciences. Bethany's current research interests are Age-related Macular Degeneration (AMD) and visual function measures such as dark adaptation.
Bethany has had experience as a PhD student representative for the department of Optometry at City, University of London from 2018-2020. In 2018, Bethany was elected to sit on the committee of Women in Vision UK (WVUK) as an Early Career Representative. She has since organised and co-hosted the WVUK Annual Meeting 2020 and multiple ‘Staying Connected’ WVUK webinars. She is also the lead coordinator of fortnightly lab meetings in the Crabb Lab.
- MRes, University of Nottingham, United Kingdom, Sep 2016 – Aug 2017
- BSc, University of Nottingham, United Kingdom, Sep 2013 – Jun 2016
- EURetina YOURS Day Science Slam 2019
English (can read, write, speak, understand spoken and peer review).
Publications by category
Journal articles (8)
- Higgins, B., Taylor, D. and Crabb, D. (2019). Assessing everyday visual function in dry AMD – what matters to the person?
Online articles (2)
- Assessing everyday visual function in dry AMD – what matters to the person? (2019). Eye News
- Women in Vision UK Research in Lockdown: Impact of COVID-19 on Vision-related Research. (2020). Eye News